Premed 101 Forums

Examkrackers Books Reviews

roycer

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Examkrackers books. I know the EK VR 101 Passages is an excellent study tool, but I was wondering about the EK Physics, Bio, Chem, VR/Math and Organic study books. Also, I want to hear feedback about the EK 1001 Questions in Physics, Bio, Chem, VR and Organic books as well. I want to know if they are worth the month before I go and buy them.

Thanks!

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the Examkrackers books. I know the EK VR 101 Passages is an excellent study tool, but I was wondering about the EK Physics, Bio, Chem, VR/Math and Organic study books. Also, I want to hear feedback about the EK 1001 Questions in Physics, Bio, Chem, VR and Organic books as well. I want to know if they are worth the month before I go and buy them.

Thanks!

i was also having the same q's... i looked up reviews on sites like amazon and SDN. they seem popular, at least more well-liked than Kaplan and TPR.

the 1001 books are pretty cheap (~25$ each, new) so i'd guess its better value than a prep course where time goes by too fast and you can get caught at the end wishing you had more time to study.

i was going to be using them this semester, but more feedback would be nice please....

PS: lots of comments on SDN say that Orsay (author) said that the 7th edition will have the same content as the 6th. there will be some minor errata correxns, but you can get those online, and the other changes will reflect CBT. but overall, 6th edition will be good enough if you are looking to buy.

Thanks bane! I'll look into buying either the 6th or 7th editions.

More feedback please!

errr... youre most welcome roycer. i thought i was useless :)

but seriously, check SDN a lot. theres so many more comments there so you can get a better sampling.

by the way, the 7th edition is currently only available to people registered in the EK course, and thats in america. but, 6th ed. will be fine.

hopefully some peeps with first-hand canadian experience can help. not that canadian opinions are more valid :D

Hey there,

I used the examkracker review books (all except for the verbal reasoning one), and I found they were really, really good (I'm in Alberta). Way more concise than Kaplan or TPR, and explain stuff way better. Also used practice exams from AAMC, and some kaplan practice tests, and the Kaplan MCAT45 for the essay section. I ended up doing really well, so I guess it worked?:rolleyes:

Royce: amazon.ca has the entire set for pretty cheap.

This is what I ordered:

Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning (Paperback)

Examkrackers MCAT Complete Study Package (the 7th edition, published march 2007)

Examkrackers 16 Mini-MCATs

Subtotal: CDN$ 195.54

Shipping: CDN$ 0.00

GST: CDN$ 11.74

PST: CDN$ 0.00

Total: CDN$ 207.28

if you need help looking for the latest study package this is what I did: Went to the examkrackers website, got the ISBN of 1-89385849-9 put that into http://www.bookfinder4u.com which leads me to a link of: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893858499/ref=nosim/comparandfind-20

The EK question books are more of a work book style of book than a MCAT style (they are still multiple choice). Questions are grouped by category and are meant to test your knowledge of a particular subject, not to test how you will perform on the MCAT.

The one exception is the 1001 Biology Questions book. This one seems to be passage based and resembles the multi topic type questions the MCAT will use. A great book if you have a decent background in biology (if you have taken the first year bio courses this will be good for a refresher). If you are trying to learn biology from the ground up, this book is lacking.

thanks for the feedback guys....

How would you rate the EK Verbal stuff?

thats whats going to be hardest for me since I think i can handle the sciences.

How would you says EK prepared you, and how it compared to other courses/companies VR pratice materials and strategies?

please keep up the feedback, and thanks! ;)

Archived