Premed 101 Forums

Seats available for July 13th, Reg for Aug. pushed to 11th

lost__in__space

We’ve noticed that there appear to be seats available for the July 13th MCAT in Toronto, Mississauga, London and Hamilton. We found them in the “TRIOS” locations. Unfortunately, we didn’t find anything in Vancouver, Montreal or other locations across Canada. If you’re already enrolled in a MCAT course that runs from May 23rd to August 4th, we do have courses in downtown Toronto, North York (York University), London and Hamilton that run from April 24th to July 5th. Currently, the courses are in London and Hamilton are full, but we do want to accommodate students. However, we will re-open them if we hear from students who want to try to grab these July 13th test seats now, rather than continue to wait to see what happens with August/September registration.

As you probably saw yesterday, AAMC has again pushed back the August/September registration. Here’s the latest message:

“Due to a technical problem with our scheduling software, registration is currently closed in Canada for August and September (in other words, registration is not closed because seats are full for August and September). We do not yet have an exact date for reopening registration, however, we will not reopen without first providing advance notice of the new date. Please check this page periodically for new information. The next update of this message will be Wednesday, April 11, by 12:00 pm (Eastern Time).”

The only thing we want to stress about this is that the wording above is exactly as it appears on the AAMC site. The all-important part in parentheses is NOT our interpretation but actually what the AAMC is saying!

Once again, we’d encourage you to check the AAMC site tonight and early tomorrow morning, just in case there’s an update (or registration actually re-opens) before noon on Wednesday.

In closing, The Princeton Review has reached out to Canadian medical schools and the AAMC about this situation.

AAMC definitely wants to hear from each individual student about their own issues. This is what we recommended early in the process. AAMC says that they can not respond effectively to issues unless they hear directly from students, which is the reason why we asked you to contact them. Let’s hope that when registration does re-open that it will go smoothly! If not, or if you just want to let them know about your frustrations so far, you can contact them at mcat@aamc.org or 202-828-0690.

Some Canadian medical schools have been in contact with the AAMC and have requested updates on the test capacity in their respective provinces. So the med schools are aware of the situation and some of them are actively monitoring what’s going on.

Was I wrong in reading that registration from August/September was supposed to open on April 14th originally? I though that is what I read a month or so back. I have been sitting and waiting for the same thing. Also unsure whether to grab up one of those early spots...

july 24th versus august 20th.

that's my dilemna right now. I can wait until tomorrow for august registration to hopefully open or register now for july. It's a whole month of potential study-time...

Honestly, the problems will eventually be fixed. If you want to write Aug 20th, then write it then. You'll just have to wait a bit longer to get your seat.

july 24th versus august 20th.

that's my dilemna right now. I can wait until tomorrow for august registration to hopefully open or register now for july. It's a whole month of potential study-time...

What else are you doing this summer? if not too much I think July 24th would be fine (that's my seat! in London, you in with me?? :P) and I'll be doing over 35 hours a week of stuff

It still costs $50 though, right? Or else I would switch to July 24 too...argh...

Yeah, 50 USD. What can you do though...?

I initially wanted to write early so I could also apply to the States. I figured since I only want to apply to the top 10 down South, having my score in 11 days later shouldn't make a difference to them, so long as I get an awesome score! Someone want to confirm that? Arghh how life sucks that I didn't get the MCAT right the first time. Good grades & EC's + poor MCAT = nothing. Now I'll be 29 by the time I finish a 4-year residency if I start med school Sept '08. I wanna be young forever! ;)

Yeah, 50 USD. What can you do though...?

I initially wanted to write early so I could also apply to the States. I figured since I only want to apply to the top 10 down South, having my score in 11 days later shouldn't make a difference to them, so long as I get an awesome score! Someone want to confirm that? Arghh how life sucks that I didn't get the MCAT right the first time. Good grades & EC's + poor MCAT = nothing. Now I'll be 29 by the time I finish a 4-year residency if I start med school Sept '08. I wanna be young forever! ;)

Oh please....I'll be 31! LOL.

Archived