Premed 101 Forums

Msar

Jade

OK, so last summer I got the 2007-2008 MSAR. Is this for this upcoming application cycle (Entry into the September 2008 class)? Or will the 2008-2009 MSAR be for this upcoming application cycle?

Thanks in advance! ;)

It will be the 2008-2009 MSAR because you will be applying for the 2008-2009 school year.

US schools don't have cut-offs, though some do "screen" for GPA/MCAT, but I believe there are no official figures. I would also imagine that unlike in Canada, a "screener" school would still give you an interview if you had a 4.0 but slightly below 30 on the MCAT and vice versa.

Yes, the MSAR will show # of applicants, # of people interviewed, # of matriculants (this is all broken down into IS, OOS, internationals, and I think also by race and the like). They will also show the average GPA/MCAT of matriculants (don't remember if they do the same for applicants/interviewees). It will also list the pre-requisites as well as other applications requirements, e.g. rec letters and application fee.

what's included in the MSAR, like it has GPA and MCAT cutoffs for each American med school right? Because some of them don't list their cutoffs or average GPA/MCAT scores on their website.

What else is in there? Info on How to Apply?

In addition to what Jochi mentioned: it shows the range of mcat scores, for example: average VR score accepted is 11, but the range goes from 7-15. also has dates for secondary application deadlines. talks about the program at each school. has contact information.

basically everything you'd need to know when you're applying.

In addition to what Jochi mentioned: it shows the range of mcat scores, for example: average VR score accepted is 11, but the range goes from 7-15. also has dates for secondary application deadlines. talks about the program at each school. has contact information.

basically everything you'd need to know when you're applying.

Yeah, the only annoying thing is that it's grouped by state, not alphabetically.

Hey

I got the 2007-2008 one. Do you guys think that it changes that much and that I should re-order a copy for 2008 entry?

Nah 2007-2008 is the same. I would invest in USNews subscription (17 Canadian). Just because its cool to see the number of Interviewed/Accepted/Enrolled. And MSAR is not 100% right either. SO its good to double check. For example: ETSU, Stony Brook takes international students. But according to MSAR its a no-no.

Nah 2007-2008 is the same. I would invest in USNews subscription (17 Canadian). Just because its cool to see the number of Interviewed/Accepted/Enrolled. And MSAR is not 100% right either. SO its good to double check. For example: ETSU, Stony Brook takes international students. But according to MSAR its a no-no.

Is that why some schools say that they don't accept applications from International Applicants, but there are people listed as matriculated in the MSAR?

For other schools that say that they don't accept international applicants, but there are international applications listed, are those people who didn't take the time to find out if they could actually apply, or just applied anyways?

just to add in case someone doesn't know or it's unclear...canadian applicants are considered as "out of state" ..not international.

really?? I had no clue, thanks for informing!

this might be a dumb question but do in state vs. out of state students pay a different tuition price? I say yes..... but then do out of state vs. internationals pay a different price too??

just to add in case someone doesn't know or it's unclear...canadian applicants are considered as "out of state" ..not international.

actually, i called a few schools last year, and i got different responses. some consider candians as "non-residents" while others consider us as "international". so find out from the schools you're thinking of applying to. no point in giving them your hard-earned money, only to get a response saying you're not eligible. :)

yap. I agree with ms ice princess

But Madz (whats up with that name anyways? I always picture you as a crazy woman behind the keyboard lol) is correct also when it comes to tuition purposes. All international students pay "out of state" fees. Rarely, if ever, even OOS students get to pay instate fees at state schools. And everyone pays the same price at private schools.

For people short on money, I still urge EVERYONE to apply BROADLY (and early of course). If you go by how many international students are accepted using MSAR or USNews, you will miss out on couple schools that really like you. For example, I know this year 2 CANADIANS got accepted at UofHawaii, that normally has taken almost no canadians for the past 3 years. Even if I went by the MSAR numbers I would have never applied to UVM because they take so few canadians/international students).

I urge this for people who have borderline marks: 3.5-3.6, 30-32 MCAT. I personally know 4 people who could have applied broadly (and in some cases also early) and had more options.

Yes I know its expensive. Around 3000-4000K if you apply to 35-40 or schools but it beats applying again. Of course if you are sitting pretty with 3.8+ and 34+, this means much less.

Archived