Premed 101 Forums

Surgery; required grades and work hours?

What do you people mean? :confused: It's not like Grey's Anatomy????

Damn! There goes my number one reason for choosing surgery! ;)

Hahahaha...funny thing about this. I actually had a roommate (who is finishing up her last year of undergrad) who wants to pursue medicine. She'd watch GA and would comment on how she'll be a lot like Meredith in her clinical years. She was convinced that what she saw on the show was exactly what medical school was going to be like.

Funny thing though....she looks great on paper and can fake a 'good' personality for a ~20 minute interview so she'll definitely get in at least somewhere in Canada. But in reality, she has people skills of a doorknob. Sounds mean....but very true.

Anyways, sorry to change the serious tone of this forum, but I just had to share this after reading the GA comment.

Cheers!

Hi there,

Just a little addendum to ffp's post above: the selection criteria for IMGs may differ from school to school and possibly, program to program. ffp (presumably) interviewed IMG candidates for her school's program(s). To obtain the most current information on IMG evaluations during the resident selection process (especially since the process changed dramatically this past year) it would be best to contact your schools of interest individually.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

That's a good idea. Thanks very much for the advice!

• 1 month later...
I have interviewed IMGs for both internal medicine and cardiology at U of S.

Heya ffp,

Had the cardiology applicants just finished their IM residency in Canada, or were they applying directly for the fellowship with an international IM residency?

Basically I'm wondering if IMGs who finish a residency in Canada are still considered IMGs if they apply for fellowships.

Archived