Premed 101 Forums

Bird courses

mikkey

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my god, someone put Molecular Biology as a bird course in the University of Waterloo. I don't believe this!

Everyone finds different things easy/difficult. I would put down molec bio as a bird course...and anatomy, and physio...and bio-organic chem lol

Guys, watch out when taking "BIRD" courses. Honestly, a bird course one year doesn't make it a bird course the next year.

Yeah, and one person's bird course is another person's nightmare....I never went to Gen Chem and English except for to write the exams and got straight As, and LOTS of my classmates struggled, and with chemistry, a good 25% failed the class entirely.

Yeah, I don't tend to do very well in bird courses either. Most of the time when people say a course is easy, it's because you have to memorize a bunch of notes that the prof hands out to you in class. In general, it's not very exciting and I don't like doing them. But I guess whatever works for you...

Yeah, I don't tend to do very well in bird courses either. Most of the time when people say a course is easy, it's because you have to memorize a bunch of notes that the prof hands out to you in class. In general, it's not very exciting and I don't like doing them. But I guess whatever works for you...

Me too Smurfette! I seem to do better on the "harder" courses, go figure.

It seems that my undergrad school is on a mission to find the bird classes and abolish them/make them harder. I took a few BIRD classes and although I enjoyed 1 or 2 of them, others were torture. For example, terrestrial planets was a nightmare. The notes were long and boring and I often skipped class knowing that I had the notes and could study them later. I ended up cramming and driving myself crazy because I hated the material. Other harder courses were much easier for me because they were in a field that I enjoyed and the material we were learning was stimulating.

It seems that my undergrad school is on a mission to find the bird classes and abolish them/make them harder.

My beloved "intro to communication software" course, comp sci 031 has been given the axe due to the astronomical class average in it :( BUT I am the last class taking it :D RIP learning how to make a HTML webpage :P

Here is a bird course at UWO, "Search for Life in the Universe" Astro121b.

You get 10% just for showing up to class and logging in with your "clicker".

50% of your mark is based on things like... What is DNA made out of? What is a protien made out of? Seriously, not joking. Sitting at a nice 98% right now going into finals and I am no genius. ;)

The corse is basicly designed as a credit for non-science students. If your in science, esp. somthing bio related you will get a 90+ mark if you show up and do the work... Maybe might even get this mark if you don't do the work if you know your stuff. I don't think I know any science students in that class with a mark lower than 90.

If you are not a science student run for this hills, because this class tries to teach you the first term of first year bio in two lectures and that can be pretty overwhelming if you never saw the info before. The only reason why the avg isn't 90 somthing is because 75% of the class is made up of ppl who have never taken a science course before and are taking it to get their science credit to graduate.

There is my tip, take it or leave it.;)

50% of your mark is based on things like... What is DNA made out of? What is a protien made out of? Seriously, not joking. Sitting at a nice 98% right now going into finals and I am no genius. ;)

The corse is basicly designed as a credit for non-science students. If your in science, esp. somthing bio related you will get a 90+ mark if you show up and do the work... Maybe might even get this mark if you don't do the work if you know your stuff. I don't think I know any science students in that class with a mark lower than 90.

If you are not a science student run for this hills, because this class tries to teach you the first term of first year bio in two lectures and that can be pretty overwhelming if you never saw the info before. The only reason why the avg isn't 90 somthing is because 75% of the class is made up of ppl who have never taken a science course before and are taking it to get their science credit to graduate.

OMG, I was enrolled in that class and dropped it to take cog psych... which I"M HATINGGG TO DEATH!

Thanks a lot, haha. I was thinking about taking the course, but some of my social sci friends told me it was wicked hard. Guess I know why they said that now.

Interview committe should be able to recognize these bird courses too. Most of them look so irrelevant.

Depends on the school. If the school relies on straight cutoffs, then no one will ever notice (this includes Queen's, Western, etc.). Regardless of whether they are straight cutoffs or not, at most schools, the interview committee doesn't have access to your marks and will likely not ask you about them. The exception to this that I can think of is Toronto, where the interviewers have everything - transcript, EC's, essay... They also explicitly state that they will look at the logic of your courses (which suggests to me that the admissions committee may look for birdie courses, although it isn't explicitly stated that way). But it's difficult to tell which course is a birdie course unless you're from that university. Supposing my assumption is true that a school like Toronto looks for birdie courses...they might know the birdie courses from their own school, but how would they be able to tell the difference between my really easy psych course or that really hard philosophy course from UBC or from UVic or from SFU or from UNBC (all BC schools)? They don't have the resources to figure out the courses and marking schemes at every university across Canada.

Having said that, I personally have found that it is more rewarding to take an interesting course than an easy course that I don't have any interest in. And the small part of me that is still idealistic hopes that the people who come to university are interested in learning and are there to challenge themselves and broaden their intellectual interests. And as such, will choose courses that will allow them to do so.

Archived