Premed 101 Forums

Role of High School Grades in Medicine?

RowaH

I've been wondering this for quite some time. Are high school marks considered in the medical school application process, residency matching, or anywhere else in the medical process?

Nope. No one cares how you did in high school once you're past first-year university. The only place where it matters is (1) whether you get into university in the first place, and (2) what scholarships you get (this is really just important for financial reasons).

Of course, what you learn in high school matters. Say, if you don't have high school physics and you don't have university physics and you're trying to write the MCAT... And whether you have good study skills. Things that are inside of you; not things that are on a piece of paper.

Oh, I was referring to med schools that accept students after undergrad (ie. North American schools). Obviously if you are applying to a med school that accepts students straight from high school (many overseas schools including in Australia, UK, Ireland, etc), then high school marks matter.

i believe undergrad marks plays no role in residency matching, so definitely not high school lol

in high school, most people get really good marks; whether they continue to do well in university however, is an entirely different issue

Damn, I was hoping they did. That means I wasted my time gathering all these EC's for nothing. Guess I'll quit this boring Hindu club now.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Oh, I was referring to marks not EC's/volunteering. Yeah, you can include high school stuff in your EC's, but the emphasis is usually on your university stuff, unless you did something very significant in high school or you started something in high school that you've continued through university. It would be a fairly weak application if all you have is a couple of high school volunteering groups or clubs.

I was involved in a whole bunch of high school stuff (student council, a couple sports, around 5 clubs including exec positions, ~4 volunteer positions, some extracurricular leadership roles, music). I ended up putting around 2 high school things on my application - music (which I've continued through university) and one of the extracurricular leadership roles.

Nevertheless, I don't think EC's and volunteer work during high school is a "waste of time" just because you're probably not going to put them on your application. The point of them is to learn something, maybe contribute to the community, and have fun. And if you must find something "useful" about them, then they can go on entrance scholarship applications.

Seeing as you sound like a high school student, my advice to you would this. Pick and choose your EC's and volunteer work wisely. Do only the things that you are interested in and/or you expect to learn something from (ie. gain skills). In high school, it was easy to participate in every single opportunity that came your way because the choices were fairly limited. Once you get to university, there are so many different things you can do (or start if it doesn't exist already). You can't possibly do them all. If you feel that you've "wasted your time" if you can't put it on your application, then don't bother doing it. Because you've "wasted your time" even if you can. You could have spent the time doing something that interested you.

Yay!

So I guess I'll have to apologize to the Hindu club owner now (I called him a "gandu," which means homosexual in Hindi).

Honestly, I'm REPULSED by you and your comments.

This forum is supposed to be a resource for people struggling to get into medicine that truly and honestly want to get into the field.

If you ever, by some fluke get into medicine, I hope you never work on me.

Archived