Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

should I pay the deposit for an Irish medical school?


Recommended Posts

hi guys,

 

i'm looking for some advice.

 

in september, a friend of mine was telling me about how she was applying to ireland for some med schools. i decided to apply, knowing there were no guarantees about the canadian schools. i also thought it would be an interesting opportunity. yet i didn't know nearly as much about the schools and the process as i do now.

 

recently, i was given an offer to the royal college of surgeons in ireland. they want a huge deposit in 2 weeks, its not pocket change, and its not refundable (6,500 euros). its a 4 year program, which is nice. but i think i rather wait to hear from trinity college dublin (5 year program, but considerably cheaper deposit/tuition).

 

i'm wondering whether i should pay the RCSI deposit or not. the more i read about the experiences north american students who went there, the less impressed i seem to get. basically, you just don't seem to get your bang for your buck...or no where close. the more i think about it, i think reapplying here would be a better option than going there and potentially being unhappy. unfortunately, at the time of applications i was being a bit paranoid and had a "apply everywhere" type attitude.

 

i'm waiting to hear from 2 schools in the states and 3 in canada. the states could be any time now, but canada will be may. the timing of the deposit is oh-so convenient.

 

here are the options i see

1) not pay deposit, and get into north america (risky?)

2) pay up the deposit for RCSI, and wait for N.A.

-Get into N.A. and lose 6,500 euros (best case scenario?)

3) call trinity and see if they could make a decision for me soon?

4) not pay deposit for RCSI, but if i don't get in anywhere in NA...what happens when i reapply? will i have to let the med schools in N.A. know i was given an offer overseas? or do they only care if you paid the deposit/matriculated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In regards to number 4....if you do not get in at any medical school in North America, and decide to decline the offer from Ireland, no one can ask you about any other offers you've received from any other institution, in this country or another. It's unethical and not to mention illegal under the charter of rights and freedoms. My advice, wait to see how you pan out here, and then go abroad if necessary. Don't jump ship just yet...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In regards to number 4....if you do not get in at any medical school in North America, and decide to decline the offer from Ireland, no one can ask you about any other offers you've received from any other institution, in this country or another. It's unethical and not to mention illegal under the charter of rights and freedoms. My advice, wait to see how you pan out here, and then go abroad if necessary. Don't jump ship just yet...

 

are you sure? i'm pretty sure on my us secondaries i was asked if i've ever matriculated at another medical school. just don't remember anything about offers...

 

however on SDN, i read a lot about ppl saying "it looks bad if you decline an offer at a mid-tier school to gain an acceptance at a top-tier school the following year". so i figured you had to mention it somewhere :confused: :confused:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you should worry about that 6500 euros. Ask yourself 1) would you go there if you were rejected everywhere else? and 2) are you at least 80% sure if you reapply next year you will get accepted to that school in Ireland? If you answer is yes to the first question and no to the second, then pay the deposit. The kind of money and effort it took you to get to where you are now is much more than 6500 euros. That's just how I would do it. I guess it also depends on how confident you are about your chances with the North American schools...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you should worry about that 6500 euros. Ask yourself 1) would you go there if you were rejected everywhere else? and 2) are you at least 80% sure if you reapply next year you will get accepted to that school in Ireland? If you answer is yes to the first question and no to the second, then pay the deposit. The kind of money and effort it took you to get to where you are now is much more than 6500 euros. That's just how I would do it. I guess it also depends on how confident you are about your chances with the North American schools...

 

It also depends on how wealthy you are...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi uofthopeful,

 

I was in the exact same situation as you last year. In fact, my situation was worse as I got my acceptance at an Irish medical school before I even interviewed at any of the Canadian schools. So I really didn't know if I had a real chance in Canada or not. I decided not to pay the deposit. I figured if I didn't get in, I'd give it another shot at CDN schools because I really want to practice in Canada and it's so much cheaper to study here (I already have a large undergrad debt). But like you, I had the same "apply everywhere" mentality in September.

 

Since you've already interviewed at 5 schools in N.A., I think you have a pretty good shot at getting in here.

 

If you're still worried, you could call Trinity and ask when you'll find out about your application. If it'll be within the week, you could just wait. And you may hear from a US school within that time too.

 

Regardless, I think you're already leaning towards a decision judging by your original post "the more i think about it, i think reapplying here would be a better option than going there and potentially being unhappy."

 

And if you do end up reapplying, I think the purpose of US med schools asking you if you've matriculated at any other med schools is to make sure you didn't fully enrol in a medical school and just dropped out (or flunked out). By declining RCSI's offer you do none of these things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi uofthopeful,

 

I was in the exact same situation as you last year. In fact, my situation was worse as I got my acceptance at an Irish medical school before I even interviewed at any of the Canadian schools. So I really didn't know if I had a real chance in Canada or not. I decided not to pay the deposit. I figured if I didn't get in, I'd give it another shot at CDN schools because I really want to practice in Canada and it's so much cheaper to study here (I already have a large undergrad debt). But like you, I had the same "apply everywhere" mentality in September.

 

Since you've already interviewed at 5 schools in N.A., I think you have a pretty good shot at getting in here.

 

If you're still worried, you could call Trinity and ask when you'll find out about your application. If it'll be within the week, you could just wait. And you may hear from a US school within that time too.

 

Regardless, I think you're already leaning towards a decision judging by your original post "the more i think about it, i think reapplying here would be a better option than going there and potentially being unhappy."

 

And if you do end up reapplying, I think the purpose of US med schools asking you if you've matriculated at any other med schools is to make sure you didn't fully enrol in a medical school and just dropped out (or flunked out). By declining RCSI's offer you do none of these things.

 

so iron mouse, did it work out for you ultimately?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not in exactly the same position you're in, but I think I can identify with your bind. In fact, I applied to several 4 year medical programs in the UK and have just heard back from 2. The universities are both good institutions with well reputed instructors etc., but I'm worried about not getting anything in Canada come May 15th.

 

Anyhow, I've been out of school for a year already - I'm not going to reapply next year since I already have two offers from the UK. The more I think about it, the more London seems like it would be a super cool (albeit expensive) place to study.

 

And since I noticed that you applied to the States as well, you must have already grappled with the idea of paying a lot for your medical education.

 

This may be futile, but have you checked about delaying the deposit? Sometimes administration can be flexible... Especially if they know that you're Canadian and they'll be milking you for everything should you decide to go to their school.

 

Best of luck!

 

Oh, and as a sidenote: I have several friends studying in Ireland this year and they're very happy with the level of instruction. Some have had a more difficult time adjusting to being overseas, but overall I'd say that they're happy with the education they're getting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...