Premed 101 Forums

Repercussions for Rejecting a Medical School

Suppose that one applies to a school that accepts applicants after third year. For the sake of argument, let's say University of Toronto. Suppose that one then proceeds to reject that medical school after receiving an acceptance and remain another year in undergraduate, before proceeding to apply again to the University of Toronto. Will there be any repercussions for that action?

Suppose that one applies to a school that accepts applicants after third year. For the sake of argument, let's say University of Toronto. Suppose that one then proceeds to reject that medical school after receiving an acceptance and remain another year in undergraduate, before proceeding to apply again to the University of Toronto. Will there be any repercussions for that action?

I dont know about any repercussions but i think the person should try to defer.

I dont know about any repercussions but i think the person should try to defer.

Toronto and a number of other schools as well will not let you defer for the purposes of finishing your undergrad if you apply as a third-year student. The reason is fairly obvious: you knew at the time of application that you were not going to be able to finish your undergrad. You should be willing to go to school if you are accepted. (This is not true for grad school because sometimes it's not clear whether or not you will graduate in time at the time of application).

As far as repercussions are concerned, I don't really know. I would expect that they probably don't have records of whether you rejected them or not. But why would you bother to apply if you don't want to go? There's no guarantees that you will make it the year after.

Toronto and a number of other schools as well will not let you defer for the purposes of finishing your undergrad if you apply as a third-year student. The reason is fairly obvious: you knew at the time of application that you were not going to be able to finish your undergrad. You should be willing to go to school if you are accepted. (This is not true for grad school because sometimes it's not clear whether or not you will graduate in time at the time of application).

As far as repercussions are concerned, I don't really know. I would expect that they probably don't have records of whether you rejected them or not. But why would you bother to apply if you don't want to go? There's no guarantees that you will make it the year after.

Yeah, why would you apply if you don't want to go?

That's the thing with applying in 3rd year, only apply to schools that you would DEFINITELY want to go to if you get in.

I know someone that got accepted at Queen's as a 3rd year and deferred to finish his undergrad.

Suppose deferral is not an option, as is the case at the University of Toronto.

"NOTE: Applicants accepted from the third year of a four-year degree program will not be considered for deferred admission. The decision whether or not to first complete one's undergraduate degree should be carefully considered before application to medical school is made."

Possible repercussions for the following year?

Suppose deferral is not an option, as is the case at the University of Toronto.

"NOTE: Applicants accepted from the third year of a four-year degree program will not be considered for deferred admission. The decision whether or not to first complete one's undergraduate degree should be carefully considered before application to medical school is made."

Possible repercussions for the following year?

I don't think there are any... but I don't see why anyone would want to decline! lol

I agree with some of the others here...this really, really begs the question "why"? Sure, it's a hypothetical scenario, but the reality of it is asinine. If for whatever reason finishing your degree is important to you, then don't apply until you're done it. Gaining acceptance to a medical school is not relevant to the decision to get your undergrad degree, so there's absolutely no reason to make that decision after going through the admissions cycle. All you're doing is wasting the adcom's time, and if I were in any way involved with admissions, I would NOT appreciate it.

The repercussions are that they should seek medical attention because that is just CRAZY!!! :)

haha i think rejecting a UofT offer is crazy to me too but maybe the OP is really confident that he can gain admission the 2nd time he applies...

and many people apply just to have experience in the process... maybe they don't even expect the offer... but got one and now stuck between doing undergrad and going for med...

I would expect that if you are offered admission as a third year applicant then you would also be offered admission as a fourth year applicant since normally the third year pool is somewhat more competitive. I think that if you turn down an offer only to reapply the next year you better have a good reason and be able to defend yourself in an interview process. It may look like you are not really committed to medicine.

This seems kind of odd to me. I agree with everyone else, don't apply if you don't intend to actually go.... this is why they won't offer deferrals to you. And it begs the question, is your degree REALLY that important after you get an acceptance, in terms of getting residencies etc? I don't think so. I just think it's annoying that someone would apply with no intention of going, there's literally thousands of people who would instantly snap up that spot, and you took it. Not too considerate in my opinion.

On a side note... whoopeee! I'm a senior member! Do i get a medal or something? Maybe a cookie? Or just weird looks from other people because I'm sad and spend too much time on these forums? :P

ok, so my guess is... you applied in your third year to Queen's, got in, but Toronto is your number 1 choice, so your thinking is... I'm strong enough to get into Queens thrid year, why not go all out and apply to Queens AND Toronto next year, thinking that you will get into Queens again and using it as a backup in the event that you don't get accepted by Toronto. Is this correct?

why don't you just tell us your situation?

p.s. if the above is indeed your situation, i would accept Queen's offer and just go with it

ok, so my guess is... you applied in your third year to Queen's, got in, but Toronto is your number 1 choice, so your thinking is... I'm strong enough to get into Queens thrid year, why not go all out and apply to Queens AND Toronto next year, thinking that you will get into Queens again and using it as a backup in the event that you don't get accepted by Toronto. Is this correct?

p.s. if the above is indeed your situation, i would accept Queen's offer and just go with it

wow, k, now it makes a little more sense, well . . . maybe not that much sense since (atleast to me) medschool is medschool, but i atleast understand that the hypothetical situation from the OP is 'somewhat' logical

This seems kind of odd to me. I agree with everyone else, don't apply if you don't intend to actually go.... this is why they won't offer deferrals to you. And it begs the question, is your degree REALLY that important after you get an acceptance, in terms of getting residencies etc? I don't think so. I just think it's annoying that someone would apply with no intention of going, there's literally thousands of people who would instantly snap up that spot, and you took it. Not too considerate in my opinion.

On a side note... whoopeee! I'm a senior member! Do i get a medal or something? Maybe a cookie? Or just weird looks from other people because I'm sad and spend too much time on these forums? :P

I agree, it does seem kind of inconsiderate and I am sure a lot of people who did not get in this application cycle would be annoyed to know that you tried just to see.

Just because you get in one year, that does NOT mean you can get in again. There is lots of luck involved with getting in!

Moral of the story: Don't bother applying if you aren't going to accept if you get in.

I agree, it does seem kind of inconsiderate and I am sure a lot of people who did not get in this application cycle would be annoyed to know that you tried just to see.

Well, those people would be waitlisted and when he rejects the offer, they'd get it anyway, so this is not really an issue, in my opinion.

IMO, I think this would be seen in a very negative light. It really shows you don't want it bad enough and haven’t thought it out. Although I don't know if schools would communicate about something like this so if the reason for rejecting school A is to go to school B the next year, I’m not sure if there would be repercussions. However, I wouldn’t count on getting accepted to the same school again.

IMO, I think this would be seen in a very negative light. It really shows you don't want it bad enough and haven’t thought it out. Although I don't know if schools would communicate about something like this so if the reason for rejecting school A is to go to school B the next year, I’m not sure if there would be repercussions. However, I wouldn’t count on getting accepted to the same school again.

I don't think schools keep a record of your application in Canada, so I don't know if they would know you even applied. Maybe someone could verify this, because I'm just speculating.

I don't think schools keep a record of your application in Canada, so I don't know if they would know you even applied. Maybe someone could verify this, because I'm just speculating.

I'm not totally sure of this either but I do know that at UBC they ask if you applied in the previous year so they would probably know if you rejected them. I believe they keep files of past applicants at least until the next cycle (maybe longer I'm not sure). They do this so your academic documents from the previous years file can be transferred to your new file when you re-apply.

One of my classmates got into UWO but declined to pursue a different degree. They were admitted the next year without problems.

However, there is an element of luck in the admissions process so I would find it quite difficult to give up any offer of admission to try another year.

Archived