Premed 101 Forums

have you seen this stat about the number of Ontario applicants?

Was 2006 the first year that the double cohort was eligible to apply to medical school (ie: completed 3 years of university)? It will be interesting to see if the number of applicants remains as high after a few years of the double cohort applying....and to see if the cut-offs continue to rise, or level off/drop.

Eline

Keep in mind that a lot of those 5000 have applied across the country and may be accepted at a school in another province.

I've considered that as well. I'm not sure what the numbers are for schools outside of Ontario but even with those, the number of registrants is still under 50% of the applicants.

are the 2006 stats for the current application cycle (i.e. for ppl who are waiting to hear back) ??

I believe the 2006 numbers are for those who began med school in 2006. Wasn't 2005 the year that NOSM opened? If so, that would confirm my suspicions.

Elaine

Keep in mind that lots of those applications are a bunch of "fools" who don't do their research on what they are applying for. These ppl are making "donations" to med schools.

I know TONS of ppl in my classes were are applying this year who don't know the first thing about the process. Hardly any of them even know how to calculate a cGPA and they have been here for years now... Lots of those ppl also are rolling the dice with a 3.4ish GPA and think Mac will take them if they are lucky. You can automaticly not count at least 50-30% of that 5000. Lots of other ppl are close with like a 3.6ish GPA or 10,10,9 MCAT and are applying "just incase". Lots of these ppl also took the MCAT in the summer and applied before they got crappy results back in Oct. automaticly cutting them out of the process (I know half a dozen ppl that fall into this catagory).

There are much much less competitive applicants because it is VERY hard to be competitive (>3.7 GPA >10,10,10,Q MCAT, > avg. ECCs) Lots of ppl might have part of these prereqs but few got the whole package and that is what it takes. That is the reality, that is what the stats also show. So if you got this package your odds start looking much better. Keep that in mind. ;)

If you the golden triad MCAT,GPA,ECC then you will get interviews and then your odds jump into the 25-50% range. If you got the triad you might even get a few interveiws and then you are golden considering you are not a nut ball and clearly show it at interviews. But just like anything else there are ppl with the triad who are nut balls. I suspect a few ppl I personaly know might fall into this group, guess time will tell... ;)

Stats are crap and they are decieving, you gotta look at the bigger picture. The basic point is that if you have the golden triad those stats start becoming way less important. So go for the triad!

Keep in mind that lots of those applications are a bunch of "fools" who don't do their research on what they are applying for. These ppl are making "donations" to med schools.

I know TONS of ppl in my classes were are applying this year who don't know the first thing about the process. Hardly any of them even know how to calculate a cGPA and they have been here for years now... Lots of those ppl also are rolling the dice with a 3.4ish GPA and think Mac will take them if they are lucky. You can automaticly not count at least 50-30% of that 5000. Lots of other ppl are close with like a 3.6ish GPA or 10,10,9 MCAT and are applying "just incase". Lots of these ppl also took the MCAT in the summer and applied before they got crappy results back in Oct. automaticly cutting them out of the process (I know half a dozen ppl that fall into this catagory).

There are much much less competitive applicants because it is VERY hard to be competitive (>3.7 GPA >10,10,10,Q MCAT, > avg. ECCs) Lots of ppl might have part of these prereqs but few got the whole package and that is what it takes. That is the reality, that is what the stats also show. So if you got this package your odds start looking much better. Keep that in mind. ;)

If you the golden triad MCAT,GPA,ECC then you will get interviews and then your odds jump into the 25-50% range. If you got the triad you might even get a few interveiws and then you are golden considering you are not a nut ball and clearly show it at interviews. But just like anything else there are ppl with the triad who are nut balls. I suspect a few ppl I personaly know might fall into this group, guess time will tell... ;)

Stats are crap and they are decieving, you gotta look at the bigger picture. The basic point is that if you have the golden triad those stats start becoming way less important. So go for the triad!

This man speaks the truth.

Just adding to Rogerroger's post this data.

I remember going to a Med school presentation at Ottawa U last year. The speaker showed us some stats for the admission process. There were around 3000 applicants to meds at ottawa u, with only 800 actually making the cutoffs. So over 2000 people practically just gave their money away.

If you have the stats and ECs, there is a great probability that you will get an interview somewhere. :cool:

Just adding to Rogerroger's post this data.

I remember going to a Med school presentation at Ottawa U last year. The speaker showed us some stats for the admission process. There were around 3000 applicants to meds at ottawa u, with only 800 actually making the cutoffs. So over 2000 people practically just gave their money away.

If you have the stats and ECs, there is a great probability that you will get an interview somewhere. :cool:

This is true...same with what rogerroger said. Just make sure you apply wide. Also, what would be considered "the golden triad"?

For ECs...that's too difficult to pinpoint, but for MCAT and GPA. I'm thinking 10/10/10/Q and at least a 3.80-3.87 (to be safe)???

This is true...same with what rogerroger said. Just make sure you apply wide. Also, what would be considered "the golden triad"?

For ECs...that's too difficult to pinpoint, but for MCAT and GPA. I'm thinking 10/10/10/Q and at least a 3.80-3.87 (to be safe)???

For EC's...I'd say very vaguely, enough stuff to fill out at least 25 bullet points on the OMSAS form. Of course, it's not just quantity over quality, but if you don't have 25 things, then unless you've done one thing amazing, you probably haven't done enough.

Considering most ppl apply to both I would assume it is. But it would be cool if someone would care to conjure up the stats.

Senior member now... Yeah thats right... I am a post whore. ;)

107 posts within 2 months... you definitely are, without a doubt.

Archived