Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance Yields at Medical Schools?

I know that at certain american schools, if your stats are ridicuously superior to what the school normally accepts, they will reject you believing that you will choose a higher tier school so they don't want to waste time interviewing you, wasting an acceptance you on, etc...

Has anyone heard about this at canadian medical schools?

I brought this up a little while ago.

A friend of mine suggested that Ottawa might do this. Although they do don't look at MCAT scores officially, he suggested that they might take a glance at the applicants' scores. High scores, coupled with a good GPA will get the applicant interviews elsewhere (1-2 guaranteed, throw in good ECs+letters+essay, maybe more), and thus Ottawa may not bother to offer an interview invite.

I'm not sure if there is anything to this, but I am one of those people who has a high MCAT score and no Ottawa invite. I also know a few people from last cycle with the same predicament, as well as several in the current cycle from this forum. Of course, this could all be an anomaly, so who knows.

How could Ottawa do this when they don't even see the MCAT marks of some (if not all) applicants? If one applies and either hasn't written the MCAT or doesn't release it to OMSAS, then Ottawa doesn't even know the marks. I bet, in fact, that Ottawa doesn't ever know ANY applicants MCAT mark - I doubt OMSAS even sends MCAT stuff since it is not part of the school's criteria.

I think schools in Canada do to some extent look at whether they think you're interested in coming to their school or not.* But I think this has less to do with whether you have high GPA/MCAT than in the states. The main reasons people choose schools in Canada is where they are accepted, of course, but also where they are from and whether they're the right "fit" for the school.

*If anything, it happens at the interview level. I highly doubt a school will not interview a student because they have good GPA/MCAT.

How could Ottawa do this when they don't even see the MCAT marks of some (if not all) applicants? If one applies and either hasn't written the MCAT or doesn't release it to OMSAS, then Ottawa doesn't even know the marks. I bet, in fact, that Ottawa doesn't ever know ANY applicants MCAT mark - I doubt OMSAS even sends MCAT stuff since it is not part of the school's criteria.

Ya I agree with this. It seems a little silly to me that a school in Ottawa who doesn't even look at the MCAT would be leaning towards rejecting students because of this. I've heard of it happening in the US...but in Canada, the medical admissions process a little different. Schools typically choose students...not the other way around.

Ya I agree with this. It seems a little silly to me that a school in Ottawa who doesn't even look at the MCAT would be leaning towards rejecting students because of this. I've heard of it happening in the US...but in Canada, the medical admissions process a little different. Schools typically choose students...not the other way around.

I highly doubt Ottawa would reject an applicant because their GPA is too high... considering their cutoffs for out of Ottawa and OOPers are > 3.83.... if anything, they are selecting for those with the highest possible GPAs.

It's an interesting theory...I suspect that every school across the country wants to interview the best applicants in hopes that the best applicants will end up going to their school. I think that schools would be doing themselves a disservice by not including someone who looks like a great candidate on paper just because that person might want to go elsewhere.

In Canada we dont really have the range of quality of med schools as they have in the states. we dont have any BAD schools here. Our "worst" med schools would rival many of the middle of the road schools in the states. that being said, we also dont have any harvards or johns hopkins. so i think that while it makes sense for a bottom teir school in the states to reject someone who is harvard worthy, it doesnt really apply to canadian schools. also, there is no mcat/gpa combo that will guarantee you an acceptance at any ONE particlar school in canada, while in the states they do put more emphasis on the numbers, especially mcat.

I know that at certain american schools, if your stats are ridicuously superior to what the school normally accepts, they will reject you believing that you will choose a higher tier school so they don't want to waste time interviewing you, wasting an acceptance you on, etc...

Has anyone heard about this at canadian medical schools?

I have a hard time believing this would happen anywhere, as it seems to imply that people with certain numerical statistics will have a certain personality type. I have my opinions regarding this stereotype, but I know super-ambitious gunners with a mediocre GPA/MCAT, and laid-back well-adjusted people with stratospheric scores.

Archived