Premed 101 Forums

U of S CaRMS Success

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could comment on the success rate of U of S graduates in CaRMS. Are there any U of S Med IV's out there who recently went through the process? How about the highly competititve residencies (Derm, Plastics, etc.)? Any comments appreciated... Thanks.

TNT

I am not a med IV (I am a resident at the UofS) but I have a lot of friends in Med IV and they did fantastic as UofS typically does.

There were 2 unmatched, around 6 radiology, 1 ent, 3 optho, lots of surg (neuro/gen/obgyne ...), no plastics this year 1 last year, a lot of anesthesia, not as many internal med as usual (didn't seem like they were a big internal class), a lot of peds matches

Safe to say UofS matches well. We are extremely well trained, the only thing UofS lacks when it comes to CaRMS is appropriate support and advice from the administration.

Hi,

What happens after they are unmatched, if you don't mind me asking.

Hi there,

As with any CaRMS applicant who is unmatched post-first round, you can either: 1) apply for any of the leftover positions in the second round of the match (which often tend to be quite limited in terms of both, location and specialty); 2) defer your CaRMS application until the following year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

How is someone's CaRMS ranking determined? It just sounds to me that doing well is harder than getting into med school in the first place! How much of it is based on where you do your MD?

Hi,

Your CaRMS rank is determined by each school that interviews you (and the CaRMS folks also try to have the schools which don't interview you rank you as well). As for doing well in CaRMS, it depends upon a number of factors including the competitiveness of the program to which you're applying as well as your competitiveness as an applicant. For example, one program here in Calgary had only two applicants (and interviewees) for one spot (Med Gen) while at least one other had multiple applicants, i.e., 100 for 4 spots (Radiology). Clearly, the odds of snagging a spot in the former versus the latter were quite different.

As for where you do your MD, that is a bit of a confounding factor, i.e., if you're applying a program at your home school then you might have a better chance of CaRMS success there given your native exposure to the folks in that program relative to others who have exposure to the folks in that program via a few weeks of electives. If you are hell-bent on a given program then you can spend quite a few weeks there on elective and do just as well, CaRMS-wise, there as you might at your home program.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

If students choose to defer their application until the following year, what do they usually do in the meantime? Is there opportunity to use your degree in some way?

Hi there,

I'd met with one of our program administrators last fall when I'd decided to switch paths to Radiology and faced the possibility of going unmatched (which isn't so different from deferring the match). One of the interesting tidbits that fell out from that conversation was that, at UofC at least, there was going to be little or no possibility of being able to do clinical work, i.e., electives or clinical rotations. Apparently, in order to do something along these lines, the medical student needs a special license.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived