Premed 101 Forums

Calgary "recommended" courses

Does anyone know how important it is for us to complete ALL the recommended courses that Calgary posted?? Are we assigned points because of that?

Struggling between whether I should take a 4th year course that will help me fulfill my degree requirement or a 1st year psych.

I think the general idea is that the more recommended courses you have, the better your transcript will look, which will end up giving you a higher score out of 50 for that section of your application. So if you have all recommendeds but psych, I would say don't bother because the marginal increase won't be significant. This is especially true if you have a very competitive gpa, because your transcript should be strong enough to put you out of the zone for which having one extra recommended course would amount to being "significant".

Also, in my opinion, which the admissions committee may or may not (probably may not haha) share, is that in your fourth year, fourth year courses look better than first year courses. And looks aside, fourth year courses are a better use of your time, and if they are related to your degree you'll get more out of them.

Good luck!

I was told that I lost points on my transcript mark for not completing the two recommended physics courses....and considering I missed the interview cut-off my less than half of a percentage point, I REALLY wish I took these course during my undergrad. Alas, I am taking them now. :)

That formula is only used to determine whether they bother to look at your application. Meeting the cutoff from the formula doesn't garuntee you an interview. Once you have met that cutoff, you are graded out of 50 on your GPA, and also on your MCAT, references, essay, and ECs/employment. The top people after that second evaluation are interviewed.

Im OOP, my GPA is much less than 3.95, I have not done all the required courses, my MCAT was a 34Q, and I got an interview this year.

Hope that helps!

Archived