Premed 101 Forums

Gay in medicine

So this was brought up in the Queen's thread, and after reading about all of the positive things people said about Queen's, I was curious to see what thoughts people had about other schools.

Queen's is gay-friendly. I find this to be true of faculty/administration and of the students. What about your schools? Gay-friendly? Gay-ambivalent? Gay-unfriendly? Hard info to get on interview days.

Hey there,

Given some of the activities and groups around (as well as a few other factors) I'd say that our med school is gay friendly too. (Seems a bit primitive not to be.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Well, don't they say medicine is a conservative profession? And you are in Alberta after all. ;)

I agree, it seems primitive to outwardly discriminate against gay people, and I don't think any school in Canada would ever do so intentionally or otherwise. I think the majority of institutions are sensitive to issues of sexuality, as they are about many other issues.

However, in my experience, being tolerant of homosexuality and being gay-friendly aren't always the same thing. While I would expect every school to tolerate homosexuality, it isn't a given that all schools will react to a gay couple in a positive way. So with that in mind... do you think the environment at U of C would? U of A?

well the flamboyancy is a character trait like any other is it not? i think if you rub people the wrong way, regardless of sexual orientation, you will be 'discriminated' against. i'm sure if you walked in with ripped jeans, long rockstar hair, an untamed beard and splurted out FCUK every other word, you'd be discriminated against... but you wouldn't come on this message board and complain, because you should see it coming...

i don't think sexual orientation is an issue unless you want to make it one. do gay people get rejected by medical schools? i'm sure they do, but along with many non-gay people as well. again, it may be my naivety, but i don't think it should be an issue unless it is made into one.

If you make inappropriate sexual references during an interview (or in a physician-patient interaction), whether gay or not, you will not be judged as socially incompetent and extremely immature. In this case, the issue is not whether someone is homosexual but whether someone has appropriate social skills. This is very different situation from discussing your sexual orientation in a socially appropriate way should the occasion arise. eg. "Describe an obstacle that you have overcome." "As a homosexual male, I have experienced discrimination....etc." In my opinion, this would be perfectly acceptable, although as a gay student, you may or may not decide to reveal this information given the possibility that someone on your interview panel is not as tolerant as you might like.

It's hard for anyone to say whether an entire school will be "gay-friendly". I'm sure that no matter what school (in Canada) you go to, the vast majority of people will be "tolerant", a large majority of people will be "gay-friendly", and, unfortunately, a small minority of people will be "intolerant".

I disagree with the idea that sexual orientation will only be an issue if one chooses to make it an issue. While vocalizing a response to something is a choice, dealing with the way an element of oneself interacts with the social environment isn't.

Further, the fact that sexual orientation is more often than not disclosed via a conscious act by the individual (i.e. its not a visible minority) is really what I'm getting at. If someone was to say that their school is gay-friendly, because the option of nondisclosure obviates the entire issue, then I'd say that the school isn't very gay-friendly at all.

Archived