Premed 101 Forums

Professional students/graduates applying to Medicine ?

I'm wondering if there are other health are professionals, either in the allied health fields or elsewhere that are interested or currently applying to medical school.

I am in allied health and wanted to hear some of experiences people have had.

Share whatever you feel is relevant. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hi im going into my first year in PT, with the intentions of going into med school. is it possible to apply during your 1st year. I know some med schools (ie. UofT) don't consider you unless you are in the process of completing your degree or have already completed it.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently in my second year of law school and am wondering the same thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the switch? Medicine has always been this deep, lurching passion and I have very clearly chosen the wrong path.

Does anyone have any thoughts on switching from a law degree to a MD (with no prior science background??)

• 1 month later...
I'm currently in my second year of law school and am wondering the same thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the switch? Medicine has always been this deep, lurching passion and I have very clearly chosen the wrong path.

Does anyone have any thoughts on switching from a law degree to a MD (with no prior science background??)

Have you taken high school chemistry and biology? If you have, its enough to get you started on taking youre premed prerequisites. Im in my third year of BSN (nursing) and im having a similar feeling, though i think nursing would be a great job if i dont make it. My plan is to take another year after to finish my science prereqs and prepare for the mcat.

Dont be afraid to make the switch if you feel thats really what you want to do, but before you do, make sure its not just cold feet. You need at least a 3 year degree to apply for medicine and if your a good way through law, it might be worth it to finish up and continue your education afterwards. And hey, you just might end up liking it.

Good luck

Adrian

If you are including any profession, then I am a Software engineer with a computer firm. My software is for emergency response systems, particularly in the hydro company.

As I've discovered, engineering isn't a real profession :(. MAYBE if you're working as a PEO but hardly anyone is these days....

I don't think my experience applying as an engineering grad was any different than any other premed.

As I've discovered, engineering isn't a real profession :(. MAYBE if you're working as a PEO but hardly anyone is these days....

I don't think my experience applying as an engineering grad was any different than any other premed.

What's that joke about what would happen if civil engineers designed bridges the way software engineers designed programs? ;)

I dunno. My degree and work experience gave me lots to talk about during my meds interview, but that's probably more because I didn't apply to medicine fresh out of engineering school. I have an EE degree, but am not a PEng.

Cheers

pb

Archived