Premed 101 Forums

August MCAT

radhika

heyy just thought theres a july one so it will be a good idea to start an august one since most of us are writing it in august...

we can post our studying plan, any questions while we are studying and ofcourse motivate each other:)

Good luck with exams for those not done..I still have 2 left..:(

I'm a resident moving to a different city and would like to get rid of these books to anybody needing some extra practice questions for the MCAT. The course itself costed me over $1000 but now you can have the books for a really cheap price of $80. If interested, I'm in Calgary right now - please contact:

Katherine 254-2496 or im_2b@hotmail.com

Hi all!

I am glad that someone decided to start up an August thread as well, I had thought about it when I saw the other but got doing something else. Anyhow I am writing on Aug. 9th in the afternoon and have to drive from Calgary to Edmonton to do so. Still have 2 exams to go but once I am done I am planning on studying 3-4 hours a night a few night a week for May and June and see how I am progressing for July. Also listen to examcrackers audio osmosis on the bus/train to and from work which I think is going to take over an hour this year.

Anyhow good luck to everyone else who is writing it in Aug!

Cheers,

UBCGuy

i'm writing august 16th. my examkrackers materials should be here by may 9th at the latest... i have to go to europe from may 27 to june 17th (work) so i'll probably just read a lot while i'm there... i guess i could call that mild verbal studying, haha! but from may 9 to 27 and june 17 onwards, i will definitely be studying mcat all the time!!

I just got my EK stuff today.. its cool its all in colour :) but the books smell funny

im so jealous, i want a job in europe too :)

hey Team August,

i'll be writing Aug 14th, in Ottawa. Thank God i got a seat.

I think i'll start studying in a week, maybe 3/4hrs a day. i first wanta take a few days off and.... i dont even know.

i wont be taking a course since i usually have to learn everything on my own in school anyway--- lectures sort of wash over me. also, i dont think sitting in class for 6hrs a week will be as effective as the same amount of study time on my own.

I'll be using the EK books and Kaplan practice material (not so much the texts), since i think that although the Kaplan course might be over priced, they do have a good amount of quality practice materials.

to all the peeps who are using the EK stuff, which EDITION are you guys using? i'll be using the 6th and 5th edition manuals. did you guys buy the 7th?! well, please let me know. thanks :)

oh ya, and as for EK AO, i tried it, but it seems like you cant be doing anything else when listening to it! for at least the first run-through, you need to give it your full attention otherwise you miss out and get lost.second/ third time, ya, you can follow easily though.... just my experience.

Hey Bane,

I bought the new 2007-2008 Kaplan Premier Program Edition book. It seems really good from what I have read so far. As far as textbooks on each subject, I am using my textbooks from the courses I have taken. (since I have already paid +150 for each of those!!) Are most people buying the complete Kaplan set or Princeton.... or just using their course textbooks??

Thanks for the help guys!!

Hey Guys,

I have one more question about studying topics. When you are studying, are you going to study JUST chem or JUST bio at once on one day? Or will you guys combine some bio/phys/chem on one day of studying? Just wondering if anyone has some noteworthy techniques? Thanks!!:)

Go Suns

hey X Ring 2008,

I dont know if its recommended to use school textbooks. I mean, it cant be that bad, but dont forget, the key is practice. so, i guess you could try using the textbooks you have for school, but they might give you too much detail and wont be the best use of your time.

if you've got the Kaplan books, use them, and when you need more info, use your textbooks. Kaplan and other companies make sure they cover all the stuff that you need to understand for the mcat.

practice makes perfect!

For me, since I'm using EK + Kaplan, I will probably do VR every morning, since i think it will hurt me hardest, and then physics + gchem one evening, and then bio+ochem the next evening. i dont know if this is great tho. I will do practice material like kaplan topicals and EK stuff on weekends, and save the hard EK stuff for later, so i dont remember the answers if i want to go back to it. We'll see how things roll around. I wont start studying till maybe another week. may 7th-ish.

SPURS ALL THE WAY!!!

Hey Bane,

Hey, I guess I meant to say that I was using my school textbooks as a supplementary to the Kaplan book. The Kaplan book has a complete scientific review in it, and from what I have read so far, it seems great! I bought the EK 101 VR as well, and I think I might get some of the other 1001 question books.

As per studying, I am not totally sure of my schedule yet. I work 8-6 during the week, so I will probably study from 7:30-10:00 each night, and then on the weekends (this would be optimal, haha)

Good luck to everyone

Go Suns

Hey!

Im also writing my MCAT (for the first, and hopefully last, time) on August 9th in Sask!! I am really hoping it goes well as I cannot imagine having to dedicate another summer to long hours in the library!

Also.. I have found that it works well to study Bio and Inorganic chem on odd days, Organic chem and Physics on even days and Verbal reasoning everyday!!!

ahhhhh oh no!

i was going to take time off between june 17th and august 16th to study for the mcat... and now an important work project has come up (i work about 50 hours a week).

What do you guys think I should do? Study in the evenings/weekends or back out? There is no point in me re-writing it unless I'm going to get over a 30, cause I've already written once (aug 2005) and scored a 28 (which I obviously am not happy with, but it's ok to apply to my local schools - mun and dal - with).

crap.

Archived