Premed 101 Forums

do u think there's gonna be less ppl applying this year?

kalia

The cohort effect was this year. The people graduating now mostly applied last summer between 3rd and 4th year. I was in the class directly following the cohort (3rd year university) and I am applying this summer for the class of 2012.

The cohort effect didn't budge the cut-offs. Guess we will find out the full effect of the cohort in a few weeks when the classes of 2011 are announced. Chances are the stats will be slightly nastier if you are an applicant for Sept 2007.

I think the people like me applying this summer will experience a trickle down effect from those qualified applicants that don't get in due to the cohort class graduating this spring. However, I don't think it will be drastically different that seen normally. I predict this based on the effect that the ap cycle of 2007 seems milder than the harsh predictions that were being made in the fall. Afterall if it is going to be brutal it will peak this year.

I personally know a number of people with good but not spectacular stats, (low 3.7ish GPA, 30Q MCAT etc.) that had multiple interviews. Nevertheless, we won't know the full effect of the cohort until mid May when the lucky future med students are notified.

i've heard an interesting theory: many of the really academically strong double cohort students applied and got in after 3rd year (making the cycle that resulted in the class of 2010 the nastiest). Comparing last years' requirements and this year's requirements, i think nothing really changed... i don't think ottawa's gpa changed, i think western and toronto's mcats and gpa remained the same, and queen's mcat cutoff went down 2 points (with a one letter bump up for essay maybe? can't remember). This is obviously only for interviews, but many schools determine their cutoffs based on applicant averages; if the cutoffs stayed the same, then the applicant averages probably haven't changed much. Post interview your gpa and mcats generally become much less significant, so i would say the interview cutoffs are a good measure of difficulty.

i dint really get it...what do u mean by double cohort yrs?...is it like pppl in their second yr rite now going to 3rd in fall 2007 cant apply this yr??

When Ontario abandoned grade 13 (OAC), 2 sets of classes graduated together (grade 12s+13s) causing a big increase in the number of people applying for undergrad... and now professional schools.

Archived