Premed 101 Forums

Proving That you Volunteered At a Certain Place

Hello, Premed101,

I'm wondering how we prove to medical schools that we actually volunteered at a certain place or time. For example, last year I volunteered at Covenant House in downtown Toronto for approximately 45 hours, but I never recieved any documentation to prove it. Do we have to provide documentation to the Adcoms, or can we simply say that we volunteered?

Thanks in advance. :)

Yes, for each activity you do you need to put down a verifier that can vouch for you (eg. a volunteer coordinator, etc.). The individual schools may or may not call the verifier since there are so many. I think they do random spot-checks (or maybe if they find that activity looks fishy or something).

For awards/scholarships or for your school program, it's acceptable to write that you have the documentation to prove it rather than putting down a verifier. If the schools deem it necessary, then they will ask for this documentation.

you have to write the name of a verifier when you apply with the OMSAS... so for each activity that you do, you put down a verifier...

this is for OMSAS... can sombody elaborate on the other schools???

Dalhousie also requires a contact/number person for each activity.

my friend's aunt went to med at u of t (this would be quite a few years ago now). a guy in her class got kicked out after 2nd year because they found out he'd made something up in his application. crazy huh? and with the debt you'd have after 2 years, that would be pretty brutal (though not undeserved).

Serves him right.

my friend's aunt went to med at u of t (this would be quite a few years ago now). a guy in her class got kicked out after 2nd year because they found out he'd made something up in his application. crazy huh? and with the debt you'd have after 2 years, that would be pretty brutal (though not undeserved).

How do they ever find that stuff out? I mean, unless you get drunk and brag about it, of course, lol.:eek:

That seems pretty hardcore to me. I wonder what it was that he lied about.

________

Headshop

If you choose to make stuff up and it doesnt get checked, it may come up in an interview and you can screw yourself over that way lol.

Yeah, definitely don't do this. Not that I did...but, yeah...interviews are stressful enough and worrying about your interviewers thinking that you made up some of your activites definitely won't improve your application

How do they ever find that stuff out? I mean, unless you get drunk and brag about it, of course, lol.:eek:

A friend of mine who is graduating from UBC med this year said she knows a guy in her class who lied on his application, and then he told her about it. She never reported him, but if she did, he'd probably be gone.

It just seems so horrific that people would lie on in order to become a doctor, when it's a profession where honesty and trust are important above so many things. *Sigh*

I wonder what people lie about? You can't lie about your transcript. Surely people don't lie about a whole range of activities. If anything, they probably lie about 1-2 EC's. But I can't imagine what EC would be so significant that it alone would make the difference between getting in and not getting in that it would be "worth it" to lie about.

Actually, I recall having this discussion a while ago and some person on this forum went and asked a few med students he knew whether they had lied on their application, something like 7 out of 10 said they did. I have a strong feeling it was Law who did it, but as I said, this was a while ago, so I don't remember 100%.

Archived