Premed 101 Forums

Honours vs. Hospital work

Redlan

I have the choice of completing my B.Sc. this fall and starting to work - if I get the job - as a unit coordinator or to continue studying and enter an honours program. The honours would require completing many high level courses at once - a possible danger to my marks, though it might also be interesting. On the other hand, the hospital job would give me hospital related work experience but put me out of the academic loop. Which path - honours vs. hospital work - would be looked on more favorably by admission comities?

How many years of undergrad have you completed? If it has just been three I would definately spend the extra year to complete an honours degree. As a four year applicant you have a greater chance(IMHO) of being accepted. Also, some schools require you to have a four year(20 credit) equivalent to apply.

Anyways, best of luck! I'm sure being a unit coordinator would be a great experience too! The main thing is to do what you want and feel comfortable with.

Western requires an honours degree. But unless you're hoping to get into Western, the other schools would be fine with a three-year degree, especially if your marks are good. The hospital experience would give you something to talk about during interviews and something to write about in your essays (in addition to some good experience).

Thanks for your ideas. By the way, I have actually completed a prior degree in philosophy and political science, so I am presently finishing off a second degree. Overall, it seems that the work experience might be best. The only element of this path that I am a little concerned about is that it directs me away from the possibility of research as a career if I am not accepted to medical school. Moreover, my marks are certainly not stellar; around 3.5 - 3.6 as they are coming in now...

You will always have the chance to find employment in a healthcare setting after you graduate, but you will not be able to go back and do your honours...

something to consider carefully.

what, you can't go back to do an honors. So say i take a year off after 3rd year. Does that mean i can't come back to school and finish an honors degree later?

what, you can't go back to do an honors. So say i take a year off after 3rd year. Does that mean i can't come back to school and finish an honors degree later?

You can come back and finish a degree if you take a year off. But if you graduate with a non-honours degree, it might be difficult to come back and do an extra year to change your non-honours degree to an honours degree.

I have the choice of completing my B.Sc. this fall and starting to work - if I get the job - as a unit coordinator or to continue studying and enter an honours program. The honours would require completing many high level courses at once - a possible danger to my marks, though it might also be interesting. On the other hand, the hospital job would give me hospital related work experience but put me out of the academic loop. Which path - honours vs. hospital work - would be looked on more favorably by admission comities?

There is no 'winning formula' when applying to medical school. Many people get in with no hospital work at all. Do whatever will make you happiest because in the end (med school or no med school) you should be happy with the choice that you made for yourself.

Good luck!

Archived