Premed 101 Forums

5th year vs. Grad school

magiman

Hey,

I am not sure if this topic has been covered in this forum but i was wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to taking a 5th year or applying for a masters degree. I understand that there are different admissions proedures and requirements for grad students so i was wondering if staying in 5th year would make it "easier" to get into med. Thanks!

Hmm, sometimes it feels like people post on topics that have been answered over and over. Of course, these are the questions that are worth asking!

Before we start yet another thread on this topic, please take a look at some of these threads (I linked some below), or do a search in the general or school-specific forums. The community here is really supportive, but try to come up with some specific questions that we can try to answer. There are many people in similar situations in the threads I have linked, so have a look!

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20333&highlight=masters

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21351

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20682&highlight=masters

I think grad school is better than a 5th year. 5th year only brings up your GPA, but Grad school (a thesis based one), you get: (1) recommendations from your supervisor, who knows you really well, (2) GPA boost (considering you're taking fewer classes, it's easier than undergrad), (3) papers, (4) work experience, etc...

I think grad school is better than a 5th year. 5th year only brings up your GPA, but Grad school (a thesis based one), you get: (1) recommendations from your supervisor, who knows you really well, (2) GPA boost (considering you're taking fewer classes, it's easier than undergrad), (3) papers, (4) work experience, etc...

It depends on your situation. Many grad programs don't yield too many grades, with the exception of course-based. If you already have a good application EC-wise, and your grades are the main weak point, another year of undergrad is better. Grad school can be quite demanding.

I'm doing a 5th year to cover my ass in case I don't get in during the upcoming cycle.

Oh ok thanks guys, ya i just finished my 3rd year at Queen's and my marks have been slipping a little lately, my marks have slid each year probably because of the courses ive been taking. I am probably sitting at a 3.75GPA which is alright.. i think? My gpa has fallen from a 3.8 to a 3.75 to a 3.65 this term. SO in my situation I think i should take a 5th year of courses to boost my average... if there is any error in my logic please tell me. ( i have yet to write my MCATs, doing that this summer). Also, if i were to stay in for a 5th year, i would obviously be taking alot of 1st/2nd/3rd year courses, does that have any effect on whether med scools will accept the marks of my victory lap (5th year)?

If you choose to delay graduation for a year, then your 5th year won't be a victory lap...and you may be less restricted that way. In any case, it's a good idea for at least 6/10 half-courses to be upper-level (ie 3rd & 4th-yr level) courses in your 5th year.

Although most schools do not really look at what courses you took....especially if you tell them you are really interested in becoming an 'expert' in basket weaving :P

Or better yet. You wanted to expand your intellectual horizons with a broad range of courses in basket weaving and shoe polishing. :P

Archived