Premed 101 Forums

First Aid Courses

lol I actually never thought about having First Aid prior to entering med school; but I got mine through St. John Ambulance for work - only took 8 hours one day...regardless of med school or not, it's a good idea for everyone to get basic First Aid training.:)

It is a requirement for you to have standard first aid and CPR C, when you show up for your white coat ceremony if you have one, or your orientation. At least at western it is mandatory. The standard first aid and CPR C is about $80-150 I honestly can't remember, I've paid for so much lifesaving society stuff that I don't even know. It took me two saturdays, and it was from 9-5, but it was a bunch of going to be lifeguards in the class so the instructor cut us a break and let us out at 2 the one day and 3 the following week. Before you receive your certification you have to write a 50 question multiple choice test that I honestly thought was a joke. Make some effort to pay attention, I've written the test so many times that I think the first answer is B, there you go you're 2% there!

New protocol changes as of January 2007 have abolished Standard First Aid Level C - it is now Standard First Aid Level B. Level HCP is for Health Care Providers only - check with your school to see which level you need.

Cheers!

Estrella

Actually, with the new changes CPR C still exists. And most places still combine Standard First Aid with CPR C. There is also HCP for health care providers which as a First Aid instructor (Red Cross) I would suggest anyone who is planning to go into the Health Care Field take. I don't know how other places run courses but for those of you in Nova Scotia I work at Dalplex and we offer Red Cross HCP training to anyone interested and willing to pay a little extra, so you don't actually have to be a health care professional.

CPR C just means that you are trained to perform CPR on Infants, Children and Adults. HCP CPR will give you everything from CPR C and a little bit extra.

Cheers!

Actually, with the new changes CPR C still exists. And most places still combine Standard First Aid with CPR C. There is also HCP for health care providers which as a First Aid instructor (Red Cross) I would suggest anyone who is planning to go into the Health Care Field take. I don't know how other places run courses but for those of you in Nova Scotia I work at Dalplex and we offer Red Cross HCP training to anyone interested and willing to pay a little extra, so you don't actually have to be a health care professional.

CPR C just means that you are trained to perform CPR on Infants, Children and Adults. HCP CPR will give you everything from CPR C and a little bit extra.

Cheers!

You're right, my bad. I believe level C now gives full AED certification? I also teach for Red Cross and SJA, eek!!! :o

Estrella

Archived