Premed 101 Forums

MCAT math tips

Kiwi85

As a general rule, if you find yourself having to do complicated math or huge calculations, you are either doing the question wrong or there is a much faster way to do it. This can be either conceptually or the numbers easily cancel in the equation. I wouldn't worry too much about MCAT math...just make sure you can add, divide, multiply, subtract, understand exponential, logarithmic, and power relationships.

I don't remember having to take logs of anything on the MCAT...unless it was Log of 1 or something. Square roots ..*if* there were any were probably of whole numbers (25, 81 etc.) usually you can cancel stuff out so it ends up being 100/10 or something like that.

I agree with Kuantum, if you find yourself doing something you can't calculate in your head, most likely you're doing something wrong.

I found that the best math tip was learning when you need to use it.

There are always - as Kuantum says - conceptual methods of determining solutions. Sure, crunching numbers will get you the answer in 2 minutes but if you take a step back you might be able to figure it out in 10 seconds without even making a written calculation.

Archived