Premed 101 Forums

So who's applying to the US?

You know, I think we should keep this thread running for this cycle to discuss things. I understand that SDN is a better resource 90% of the time simply because there's a whole lot more people familiar with US schools there, but it's nice to have someplace to talk to each other. For starters, anyone wanna post their stats? I'll go first. I don't wanna post my mdapps because it's really detailed.

cGPA: 3.51

BCPM: 3.37

Last 2 years: 3.78

Major: Japanese Language and Culture, from a top US liberal arts school

MCAT: will know May 16th :eek: It's really going to make or break my application.

Rushing to finish up some Orgo now, so I could get a grade for it and raise my BCPM a bit. I took few science classes as an undergrad (switched out of Economics to Japanese....heh), so just 1 more A will make my BCPM jump to 3.45.

I'm gonna apply everywhere they take Canadians except for the California schools (too hard to get in even as an IS) and some of the Ivies. I know I have a snowball's chance in hell at getting in at an Ivy, but maybe the day they get my app will be that one day that hell freezes over.:D:P

What's that?

Canadian schools have deadlines, after which they look at ALL applicants, decide on interviews and admissions etc.

US schools look at applications AS THEY ARE SUBMITTED until the deadline. For example, a school has 100 seats. If you apply early, they have 100 empty seats to fill. If you apply near the end of the cycle, 85 seats may already be filled. When there are more available seats, the schools are more "lenient" and are willing to consider students with lower MCAT/GPA. When there are only, say, 15 seats left the admissions committee will be much more critical of applicants and only interview the "cream of the crop."

Canadian schools have deadlines, after which they look at ALL applicants, decide on interviews and admissions etc.

US schools look at applications AS THEY ARE SUBMITTED until the deadline. For example, a school has 100 seats. If you apply early, they have 100 empty seats to fill. If you apply near the end of the cycle, 85 seats may already be filled. When there are more available seats, the schools are more "lenient" and are willing to consider students with lower MCAT/GPA. When there are only, say, 15 seats left the admissions committee will be much more critical of applicants and only interview the "cream of the crop."

+++

simply put, if you are a sub-par or mediocre applicant, get on your apps asap.

if you are a steallar applicant, you'll hopefully be shown some love at any time. but why take this risk? plus, applying early also means a potentially early acceptance! some ppl hear back as early as late october/november in the states. i would imagine its a big relief. all of us ontarians have to sit on the edge of our seats until mid may.

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone.

I just decided it's probably in my best interest to apply to the States. Hopefully my 3.5 cGPA and 36P is good enough to at least make me competitive (aka not a waste of time ;)).

How many schools on average are people planning on applying to?

I was wondering if anybody who has been through the process could tell me... if we could place a deposit to hold a seat until May 15th, after you have been admitted by an American Medical School much earlier on. Basically, I would like to apply to the States and wait to see if I got in to Canada before I decide. Does this apply to all American Medical Schools? OR for some US schools, they will only give two weeks after you have been accepted to decide whether you will take their offer?

Thanks for clearing up the confusion!:)

Schools that accept you before the 15th of may give you 2 or 3 weeks to accept or refuse the offer. Once you accept you have to pay a deposit which is usually a 100$. You can't hold multiple acceptances after the 15th of May. So if you change your mind before, you get your refund. if you get accepted by a Canadian school after the 15th of May, you lose your deposit basically.

Hey guys! Im applying to US schools!

Wayne state

MSU

Case western

SUNY upstate

RFU

Pritzker

I wanted to pick schools that wouldn't give me a hard time coming back to canada, so i stuck to middle tier schools for the most part. I also wanted something relatively close to home, or to my other family in the states

Archived