Premed 101 Forums

University of Waterloo Undergrad Courses

I was wondering if anyone who has been to the University of Waterloo has any thoughts or opinions on the following UW undergrad courses/professors:

- BIOL 130/L - Introductory Cell Biology (Prof: Jeremy Friedberg)

- BIOL 140/L - Fundamentals of Microbiology (Prof: Trevor Charles)

- BIOL 273/L - Principles of Human Physiology 1 (Prof: Norm Scott)

- BIOL 303 - Introductory Developmental Biology & Embryology (Prof: Christian Jacobson)

- FR 151 - Basic French 1 (Prof: Cythnia Beth Tremblay)

Also, do you have any other courses that you would recommend as being particularly interesting, or for which the prof is a particularly excellent teacher?

Thanks in advance.

Elaine

Bio273 was a great course in Human Physiology. Having taken the equivalent full-year course at Utoronto as well (PSLxxx) the curriculum was the same, but the exams were more fair. However, I had a different instructor (Dr. Vivian Dayeh). Norm Scott has a lot of experience teaching the course, and he typically does the lab sessions as well, but I found his lectures a bit less structured. You can probably find ratings on RateMyProfessor.com.

When I took it in 2005, it used the standard textbook by Silverthorn 2nd ed.

• 2 months later...

In order to make myself eligible to apply to UWO for September 2008, I've changed a number of my courses for next year (increased the number of 3rd and 4th year courses). I'll still be taking my coures at the University of Waterloo. Does anyone have any experience with the following courses:

- SOC 321 - Introduction to Research Methods taught by Peter Carrington (distance education course)

- HLTH 452 - Decision Making and Decision Supprt in Health Informatics taught by Jose Arocha (on campus seminar course)

- BIOL 373 - Principles of Human Physiology 2 taught by Norm Scott (distance education course)

Thank you for your help.

Elaine

Bio273 was a great course in Human Physiology. Having taken the equivalent full-year course at Utoronto as well (PSLxxx) the curriculum was the same, but the exams were more fair. However, I had a different instructor (Dr. Vivian Dayeh). Norm Scott has a lot of experience teaching the course, and he typically does the lab sessions as well, but I found his lectures a bit less structured. You can probably find ratings on RateMyProfessor.com.

When I took it in 2005, it used the standard textbook by Silverthorn 2nd ed.

Oops, missed this before. Just wanted to say that I loved Dr. Dayeh!

Sorry, no advice about the other profs you listed, Elaine.

• 2 months later...

I'm once again looking at UW courses, this time for the winter of 2008. Has anyone taken any of the following courses?

- BIOL 201: Human Anatomy with David Spafford

- BIOL 273L: Human Physiology 1 Lab with Norm Scott

- BIOL 373L: Human Physiology 2 Lab with Norm Scott

- HLTH/KIN 348: Social Psychology of Health Behaviour with Linda Jessup

- KIN 415: Neurorehabilitation with Richrd Staines

- KIN 440: Sports Injury Management Seminar with Robert Burns

- NATST 370: Issues in Contemporary Native Communities in Canada with Jean Becker (by distance ed)

- PHYS 380: Molecular Biophysics with Firas Mansour (by distance ed)

- PSYCH 323R: Psychopathology with Kathy Foxall

Thank you for your help!

Elaine

• 3 weeks later...
I'm once again looking at UW courses, this time for the winter of 2008. Has anyone taken any of the following courses?

- BIOL 201: Human Anatomy with David Spafford

- BIOL 273L: Human Physiology 1 Lab with Norm Scott

- BIOL 373L: Human Physiology 2 Lab with Norm Scott

- HLTH/KIN 348: Social Psychology of Health Behaviour with Linda Jessup

- KIN 415: Neurorehabilitation with Richrd Staines

- KIN 440: Sports Injury Management Seminar with Robert Burns

- NATST 370: Issues in Contemporary Native Communities in Canada with Jean Becker (by distance ed)

- PHYS 380: Molecular Biophysics with Firas Mansour (by distance ed)

- PSYCH 323R: Psychopathology with Kathy Foxall

Thank you for your help!

Elaine

Can't help you because I haven't taken them yet, but I'm enrolled for BIOL 201 and Psychopathology for Winter 2008, although it may not be the same course because I think the code for the one I'm taking is PSYCH 273?

*shudder* :eek:

Lol I always found my 3rd year course list to be funny in that way.

Analysis of Process Data

Phase and Reaction Equilibrium

Laboratory Projects II

Heat Transfer

Chemical Reaction Engineering

Transition Metal Chemistry

Technical Communication

Mass Transfer Operations

Industrial Catalysis

Applied Organic Chemistry II

Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Simulation

Experimental Chemistry II

I love being able to say that I took a quantum mechanics class (and learned about zeta potential!)

Lol I always found my 3rd year course list to be funny in that way.

Analysis of Process Data

Phase and Reaction Equilibrium

Laboratory Projects II

Heat Transfer

Chemical Reaction Engineering

Transition Metal Chemistry

Technical Communication

Mass Transfer Operations

Industrial Catalysis

Applied Organic Chemistry II

Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Simulation

Experimental Chemistry II

I love being able to say that I took a quantum mechanics class (and learned about zeta potential!)

This is what you took in your 3rd year? :eek: How has your interaction with the opposite sex been lately?:D

- BIOL 130/L - Introductory Cell Biology (Prof: Jeremy Friedberg)

Never had the prof, I had Bols. Bols is awesome. I highly recommend him over any other prof.

- BIOL 140/L - Fundamentals of Microbiology (Prof: Trevor Charles)

Charles gives hard exams. He also [intentionally?] misleads you in the course material that he tests on. Make sure to go over all the readings that he mentions, even the "optional" ones. I took the DE section of the course which made it a bit easier. My friend took the on-campus and was misled by him. There was a post on ratemyprof.com on Charles that said "If I saw him crossing the street, I would think twice before breaking." My friend strongly agrees. :rolleyes:

- BIOL 273/L - Principles of Human Physiology 1 (Prof: Norm Scott)

Norm scott is organized and thorough. I never had him as a prof, but my experiences with him tell me that he teaches well and is fair in his exams.

- BIOL 303 - Introductory Developmental Biology & Embryology (Prof: Christian Jacobson)

This year will be the 3rd year in which Jacobson teaches biol303. The first year, he was very disorganized and his exams were absolutely brutal. I believe he gave a few essay questions on very specific concepts of the course. Those who got lucky and studied those concepts in detail earned uber high marks. Those who did not, well, weren't very happy. As a result, when he taught the 2nd time, he made the course retardedly easy and everyone scored 80's and 90's. (I believe he made his 4th year neuroscience course equally easy that year) I imagine the difficulty of biol303 being somewhere in the middle this year?

- FR 151 - Basic French 1 (Prof: Cythnia Beth Tremblay)

My friend took that course a number of years ago but probably not with the same prof. He did very well. The homework and exams were not very demanding. He recommended the course to everyone because there were a lot of hot girls and he got to chat with them in class (mostly in broken French).

Hope that helps!

I'm enrolled for BIOL 201 and Psychopathology for Winter 2008, although it may not be the same course because I think the code for the one I'm taking is PSYCH 273?

PSYCH 323R is cross-listed with PSYCH 257. They are identical courses. If I end up taking this course, it will be PSYCH 257 by distance ed (due to scheduling - I'm currently planning on being on campus Mondays and Wednesdays, but not Tuesdays.).

I have also registered for the following courses:

- KIN 415 - Clinical Neurorehabilitation with Richard Staines

- HLTH 420 - Health Environment and Planning with Murray Haight

- ISS 350D - Adult Life Crises and Events with Ken Mott

- PHYS 380 - Molecular Biophysics with Firas Mansour (distance ed)

- SCI 250 - Environmental Geology with Carol Ptacek

- BIOL 273L- Human Physiology 1 Lab with Norm Scott

I am considering dropping HLTH 420 and adding PSYCH 257, which will mean that I'll drop SCI 250 and add BIOL 476 - Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience with Christian Jacobson. Either way, I may take BIOL 476 instead of SCI 250. I am waiting to see a copy of the course syllabus for SCI 250, to see if I think it will be interesting. If not, I'll take BIOL 476.

While I would like to take BIOL 201 - Human Anatomy, it means being on campus an additional day. Essentially, I had to decide between KIN 415 (Mon/Wed) and BIOL 201 (Tues), and I decided that KIN 415 would be more interesting.

Any thoughts on these courses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Elaine

Thanks for all your help tooty! I have a copy of the course outline for BIOL 476 - looks like a very different course format (2 presentations each worth 20%; participation 20%; final paper 40%; no exam). I'm still considering taking that course. I have Dr. Jacobson this term, and find him to be a good prof. Once I receive the course syllabus for SCI 250, I'll make my decision.

Elaine

That's too bad about BIOL 201 Elaine....I will only be on campus on Tuesdays for that. My colleague (a physiotherapist) took the Human Anatomy in the KIN designation and said it was easy, so she speculates this one must be even easier....not to mention interesting (and as a massage therapist I've taken plenty of anatomy already :D )

If you change your mind on the PSYCH 253, let me know and maybe we can collaborate a bit on that one!

-Alison

• 3 years later...

I have also registered for the following courses:

- KIN 415 - Clinical Neurorehabilitation with Richard Staines

- HLTH 420 - Health Environment and Planning with Murray Haight

- ISS 350D - Adult Life Crises and Events with Ken Mott

- PHYS 380 - Molecular Biophysics with Firas Mansour (distance ed)

- SCI 250 - Environmental Geology with Carol Ptacek

- BIOL 273L- Human Physiology 1 Lab with Norm Scott

Any thoughts on these courses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Elaine

What did you (or anyone else) think of Phys 380? Any recommendations for 300 level courses at UW?

Archived