Premed 101 Forums

Overseas Volunteer Opportunities

I haven't read the above threads, but I recommend International Service Learning - http://www.islonline.org. I went with a medical health team to Belize and it was pretty cool, although not cheap. The team was comprised of pre-med, pharmacy, and pre-dentistry students. I'm not sure if all trips are similar, but on ours, we got to participate in surgeries, deliveries, etc. it was great! and on the weekends, they took us away to the keys - like a vacation - so it's not all work. They only problem was the language. I chose Belize bc it is an English speaking country, but everyone there spoke Spanish so it was very hard to communicate. But I have great stories!

Does anybody know of a good organization to do volunteering overseas? Something along the lines of shadowing a doctor in Africa? I think a shorterm volunteer experience would be cool. Thanks:p

I did an intern abroad program with Cross Cultural Solutions last summer. They were great.. I felt very safe and taken care of. They even took into consideration those that wanted to study medicine in the future, and scheduled a personal tour around a cancer clinic with a doctor that could speak English. Their program fees are a bit expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I also volunteered with Cross Cultural Solutions in Tanzania. It was a very good organization, they took very good care of me(especially when I got malaria!) I was able to work with HIV/Aids infected children, plus pallative care for some very sick patients and then go on home visits to see how the general population deals with this disease. It was an amazing trip and I would suggest it to anyone. Although I would be careful about hospital placements as if you do not have medical training there really isnt alot for you to do and the girls that did that were really quite bored. I think in small clinics you get more patient contact.

I just recently heard that it would be possible to get a 'sponsor'. For example, a local company that would fund your trip in order to get good publicity! Any success stories from people who have done this? I feel kind of awkward just approaching a corportation and saying, "Fund me so I can help underfed children in Africa and ultimately go to Medical School!"

I just recently heard that it would be possible to get a 'sponsor'. For example, a local company that would fund your trip in order to get good publicity! Any success stories from people who have done this? I feel kind of awkward just approaching a corportation and saying, "Fund me so I can help underfed children in Africa and ultimately go to Medical School!"

Of course, you're supposed to tell them how it's going to be good for THEM. I.e. "I will bring you publicity, blah blah blah, this will have an important impact on your bottom line, I will speak about my experience for your employees, etc."

Archived