Premed 101 Forums

question regarding entering various courses

hey all, just a few questions (i attend UWO, which is a semestered school)

1) do i use the "1st semester (winter)" "2nd semester (spring)" option for half courses, and "full year- semester" for full year courses?

2) how do i enter a course worth 1.5 credits?

3) how do i enter courses taken at a different university? If I enter it under my school's transcript, and under the other school's transcript, how do I make sure it doesnt get counted twice?

thanks!

1) do i use the "1st semester (winter)" "2nd semester (spring)" option for half courses, and "full year- semester" for full year courses?

3) how do i enter courses taken at a different university? If I enter it under my school's transcript, and under the other school's transcript, how do I make sure it doesnt get counted twice?

thanks!

1) i forget if its 'fall' /'winter' or 'winter'/'spring'...not sure if the US way is the same as your transcripts. i know mine wasn't.

3) enter the course once (only at the original school you took the course) --> start a new institution for that course.

thanks!

all the answers are great.

for number 1 using winter/ spring option is fine.

for number 3 make sure you send in the original transcripts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken classes both in Arts & Science and in Engineering. In the Arts & Science system, the credits are based on the traditional 0.5 for a 1 semester course, and 1.0 for a full year. However, all of my engineering courses are based on "Academic Units", and I have classes that range in value from 36 to 108, based on the total number of hours. How should I go about entering these in such that they are not weighted 108 times more than my ArtsSci classes? :confused:

hey everyone

i just called AMCAS, and they said to enter the course taken at a different university under that university's entry....so dont enter it under your home university, even thought it appears on the transcript

I have another question about entering courses that has to do with the course designation....

I have like 10 biochem courses, BCH-type.

However, theres no option for biochem, only straight bio, or straight chem.

I emailed amcas and they said do whatever you want.

any other suggestions? thanks.

I just put it under whatever my university categorized it as. At my univ, the biochem course code started with "BGY" - designating it as a biology course so I put it under biology.

hmmm... generally, my biochem courses were a tad lower than my chem courses. how does the AMCAS tally up what your science GPA is? by looking at biology/chem/math/physics courses?

if I left biochem as "other" wouldnt that help keep my science gpa higher? would putting the biochem courses as "other" make them non-science courses?

its nothing significant. we're talking like 3 A-'s. maybe its not worth spazzing over.

i think i'll do some experimenting if i can with the system.

Yes, your science GPA (aka BCMP) is calculated using ALL bio, chem, math, and physics courses so it wont matter if you put biochem under bio or chem. If you decide to put it under "other" then AMCAS *may* change it and put it under either bio/chem when they verify your application.

You wont get your AMCAS GPA or your BCMP GPA until your application has been verified by AMCAS.

Yes, your science GPA (aka BCMP) is calculated using ALL bio, chem, math, and physics courses so it wont matter if you put biochem under bio or chem. If you decide to put it under "other" then AMCAS *may* change it and put it under either bio/chem when they verify your application.

You wont get your AMCAS GPA or your BCMP GPA until your application has been verified by AMCAS.

thanks Madz. theres actually excel file programs that you can input your grades into to see what kind of GPA you have. its supposed to be a pretty accurate simulation. I dont have the link on me and I actually forget where I found it. It might even have been here on this forum.

thanks again....

Archived