Premed 101 Forums

from peds to fellowships

With the exception of Geriatrics (;)) I think all of the sub-specialties within peds are the same as those for internal. Sometimes (if not all the time?) in Peds, Hematology and Oncology are combined (Peds Heme-Onc) - at least this is what I have noted at Dal.

With the exception of Geriatrics (;)) I think all of the sub-specialties within peds are the same as those for internal. Sometimes (if not all the time?) in Peds, Hematology and Oncology are combined (Peds Heme-Onc) - at least this is what I have noted at Dal.

Thanks a lot Jewel, So peds onc is the same as IM onc in that you do research for both but you treat kids in the former and adults in the later?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "do research for both."

Internal med and all of its subspecialties are for adults while Peds and all of its subspecialties are for kids. The list of subspecialty titles is the same, but the work is restricted to your area of training (adults or kids). I am sure you could do research in both if you really wanted, but I don't imagine that this really happens since a person is only trained to work with one or the other.

So Peds Oncology is treating cancer in children (of which the common ones are hematologic neoplasms, hence the combo in pediatrics - "Heme-Onc"). Oncology via Internal Medicine is treating cancer in adults.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "do research for both."

Internal med and all of its subspecialties are for adults while Peds and all of its subspecialties are for kids. The list of subspecialty titles is the same, but the work is restricted to your area of training (adults or kids). I am sure you could do research in both if you really wanted, but I don't imagine that this really happens since a person is only trained to work with one or the other.

So Peds Oncology is treating cancer in children (of which the common ones are hematologic neoplasms, hence the combo in pediatrics - "Heme-Onc"). Oncology via Internal Medicine is treating cancer in adults.

sorry, I don't mean research for both adults and children.

I meant to say that people who do 'peds onc' and 'IM onc' can be involved in clinical cancer research

sorry, I don't mean research for both adults and children.

I meant to say that people who do 'peds onc' and 'IM onc' can be involved in clinical cancer research

Lol...are you and Alastriss the same person??

Either way - you are definitely right - the training is approximately the same amount of time for both, so Pediatric Oncologists and adult Oncologists are equally qualified to do research & clinical work in their fields.

Lol...are you and Alastriss the same person??

Either way - you are definitely right - the training is approximately the same amount of time for both, so Pediatric Oncologists and adult Oncologists are equally qualified to do research & clinical work in their fields.

SOMETIMES I AM!

I made an account for my friend cuz he doesnt have anything other than his university email and can't receive the confirmation for account email, but i had an extra hotmail account for t-fering files via msn :D:D... i DON'T have a split personality! But i do use this account sometimes

we have the same interests(friend and I) ;). Anywayz Jewel you have been most helpful (post on my cdn healthcare discussion/opinion thread!!)

Archived