Premed 101 Forums

Mini Masters

If one decides to do a Mini masters does that qualify you to become a grad student? Also do you qualify for all the benefits that MSc students have when applying? I wouldn't think that they do? but what are teh advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

NOTE: not doing it ONLY for the sake of boosting med school app, it will be a good opportunity to try some more research and keeping my doors open

You apply there if you have a micro GPA.:cool:

The grad student I am working with did a mini masters. Its like a masters in most aspects except you don't have to 'wrap up' your project and that you can use it to do ur PhD, unlike a MSc where u cant continue your work, you have start a whole new project.

It is also one year I believe

Micro GPA? like <3.7?

The grad student I am working with did a mini masters. Its like a masters in most aspects except you don't have to 'wrap up' your project and that you can use it to do ur PhD, unlike a MSc where u cant continue your work, you have start a whole new project.

It is also one year I believe

Micro GPA? like <3.7?

Jochi is joking.

I honestly have never heard of a mini masters.

You can do one year of masters and then have the department reclassify you as a PhD. So, you don't have to start a whole new project.

Some/most/all schools want to see you defend before you matriculate.

Jochi is joking.

I honestly have never heard of a mini masters.

You can do one year of masters and then have the department reclassify you as a PhD. So, you don't have to start a whole new project.

Some/most/all schools want to see you defend before you matriculate.

Daryn i think that is what i meant, because the grad student said she was reclassified as a PhD student and then continued her project. So since some schools would want to see you defend, would it be possible to do so if you do a 'mini' masters? If so, I am assuming it would depend on how much of your project you have completed because it would be hard to defend an unfinished project

From what I understand, there are a number of programs in Canada that allow you to go into grad school and be technically considered a master's student in the first-year. After the first-year, you have the option of switching to a PhD program whereby you can use the work from the first-year of your first-year of "Masters". You can also continue with the Masters and finish the Masters, instead of switching to a PhD. This is great for many people because it gives you some flexibility - if you decide you don't like the lab so much, or you're not willing to spend 5 years doing a PhD, or you would rather do a different type of research, you can do a Masters instead, which you wouldn't be able to do if you were enrolled in a direct-to-PhD program. But, on the other hand, you can use the first-year towards a PhD instead of doing a 2-year masters (or giving up the first-year's worth of work) before your PhD. As far as I know, you do not get a degree from your first-year's worth of work, you only get a Master's for ~2 years and a PhD for ~4-5 years. (ie. there's no "mini-Master's" degree).

Daryn i think that is what i meant, because the grad student said she was reclassified as a PhD student and then continued her project. So since some schools would want to see you defend, would it be possible to do so if you do a 'mini' masters? If so, I am assuming it would depend on how much of your project you have completed because it would be hard to defend an unfinished project

No. Not possible. First, it is not a mini masters. You do not get a master's degree. If you reclassify in your first year masters, you will end up getting your PhD after your defend your PhD thesis. If you want to get reclassified, you will have to apply for medicine during/after the last year of your PhD.

Don't worry about reclassifying now.

And to add, not everybody gets reclassified. Some people get rejected. It depends on your project and what kind of results you are getting.

Hi there,

There are some Masters programs out there which seem to fit the description of this "mini Masters" above. In my department at UofT we offered at least one professional Masters degree which was difference from the doctoral stream degree. The main difference was that the professional MSc students did not have to defend a thesis whereas we did. Also, the professional MSc students were not permitted to reclassify and work towards completing a PhD.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

No. Not possible. First, it is not a mini masters. You do not get a master's degree. If you reclassify in your first year masters, you will end up getting your PhD after your defend your PhD thesis. If you want to get reclassified, you will have to apply for medicine during/after the last year of your PhD.

Don't worry about reclassifying now.

And to add, not everybody gets reclassified. Some people get rejected. It depends on your project and what kind of results you are getting.

Yeah i dont think "mini masters" is the actual name for what I am talking about, mini masters at my school means something else. The grad student just threw that name out, and to quote her she said "i did something like a mini masters kind of"

So doing a mini masters does not put you into the graduate pool of applicants or give you the advantages (mac) that they receive

Yeah i dont think "mini masters" is the actual name for what I am talking about, mini masters at my school means something else. The grad student just threw that name out, and to quote her she said "i did something like a mini masters kind of"

So doing a mini masters does not put you into the graduate pool of applicants or give you the advantages (mac) that they receive

You have to complete your degree (or will complete before med school starts) to be considered in the grad pool/get bonus points/etc.

Archived