Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie for Electives?

I am an American at a US medical school. I am thinking of coming up to Halifax for an elective and wondered how people felt about the strength of the electives. I was interested in Neurosurgery, Anesthesia and maybe Radiation Onc. I have no idea how competitive these slots are so I thought I would ask. Also, is it really hard to find accomodation for a few weeks? I am not even sure how competitive these fields are in Canada, as things are so different from here in the States.

Anyway, I thought I would ask! I am also going to apply to McGill, mostly because I know Montreal and speak French decently. Grandmother was from New Brunswick - "Woodstock," NB in fact! Thanks for any feedback, advice etc.

Hi woodstock,

I actually don't know much about the particular departments that you have inquired about, so I cannot comment on the strength of the electives.

With respect to accomodation, it will depend on what time of year you are coming. If it is anytime in the summer, you should have no problem, since all the med 1 and 2s are on break and the med 3s are often away on rotations. September if usually a very difficult time to find accommodation because all the classes are generally in Halifax. Otherwise, it's somewhere in the middle. There are usually a few med 3s and 4s away at any point in time, so if you send an email to the Dal Med Student Society, they'll send out a request on your behalf.

Otherwise, my only suggestion is to plan very early. It can take quite some time for an elective to be organized and approved at Dal. (And this is for Canadian medical students - it might be even longer for you since you're coming from the states.)

Archived