Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med w/o your typical science undergrad...

Hello everybody,

Before browsing this forum I was under the impression that it didn't really matter what you did your undergrad in as long as you completed the pre req's. (if any) However, after browsing a few recent threads I am now under the impression that my undergraduate degree in which I am going to pursue will put me at a disadvantage. I am currently in first year and I am planning on pusuing an honors specialization in psychology B Sc. Can anyone give me the straight goods and tell me if I am in any way at a disadvantage to more typical science undergrads? ( like a bio or chem major)

Thanks so much guys!

Hi, it depends on the school. Some med schools like Western and Queens only look at your gpa, so it is a very black and white process - you either make their cutoffs and get an interview or you get rejected.

For other med schools like U of T and McGill, there is someone who looks at your application as a whole. They see what school you are from, what kind of degree, what your marks are for your individual courses, etc. So it is a rather subjective process. How much your school/program matters is hotly debated here. But to answer your question, personally, I don't see psych as a disadvantage, I can't answer for the admissions people though. People who get into med school come from rather diverse undergrad backgrounds, in terms of specialization in the sciences.

For other med schools like U of T and McGill, there is someone who looks at your application as a whole. They see what school you are from. . .

Isn't it true that the prestige of an applicant's undergraduate institution isn't given much consideration in the medical school admission process? For example, if what you are saying is true, then applicants who attended York (such as myself) will be looked down upon when applying to U of T/McGill Faculty of Medicine.

The fact that most med school students get accepted are from a science background most likely has to do with the fact that by far, the majority of students applying come from science. I really do not think you will be at a disadvantage as long as you take the pre-reqs and write the MCAT.

To do list:

- take the pre-reqs for the schools that still have them (nothing more if you dont want to)

- take the courses that will help you get a sick GPA

- study hard for, and kill the mcat

- attend the med school of your choice

dont worry about going into a program like biochem, if your concern is about not being prepared for the mcat, dont worry. enough studying will let you learn what you need to know. just get a wicked GPA.

no one will give a shi.t if you come from a super-hardcore program, like electrical-computer-thermodynamic-engineering if you have a 2.0 GPA. The value of a program's reputation is prety exaggerated.

yeah, the only disadvantage i could see might be once you've gotten in. although psych isn't super unrelated to medicine, i've spoken to some people who got in from engineering for example, and they definately find med school more challenging than let's say a biochem or physiology student. having said that, i'll repeat what i say time and time again to people looking for advice on program choice: pick whatever it is you ENJOY. Don't start taking courses because you think they'll give you an advantage once you've gotten into medicine. don't pick courses that you think will impress medical schools. don't pick courses that you've heard are bird courses. pick courses you're interested in. Only then can you do well with little effort, and doing well is definately a prerequisite for getting in.

Archived