Premed 101 Forums

BCG vaccine and then Mantoux Skin test for TB?

I think that there are very likely many other people on the forum in the same boat as me, so I'm wondering if you would be willing to share your experiences.

The BCG vaccine isn't really administered to people in North America, but I had the BCG vaccine when I was younger since I wasn't born in Canada. Of course, this pretty much means that when I get a Mantoux skin test for TB (so that I can volunteer at a hospital), I am going to test positive even if I don't have TB, whether it's latent or active. I've heard of people who had the BCG vaccine but tested negative. I'm hoping that I'm that lucky *crosses fingers*

Has anybody else gone through a similar scenario? What happened in your case? Did they take into account that you had the vaccine, or did they assume that you had latent TB and put you on medication for a couple of months anyways?

It's normally not a big deal to me if I have to take pills for a couple of month, except that I had just learnt in last semester's Pharmacology courses about how hepatotoxic the particular antibiotics used for treatment of TB are so I'm really not interested in risking my liver by taking pills to cure non-existent latent TB.

It's not a big deal. I test positive because I had been exposed to inactive TB as a kid in Iraq. You just have to get a chest X-ray to show that you do not have active TB and tell your doctor that you do not want to take those pills (that I took as a kid), because you were not ever exposed to TB. Then you will be able to do any volunteering (or whatever other reason you did the skin test for).

I got this vaccine too as a kid and tested positive when I did the skin test at 13...my chest x-ray was ok, but they still wanted me to go on medication. Of course, I refused. :D I haven't been tested since then, but I hope after so many yrs it won't be positive anymore when I have to do it for med school.

You may also want to check out this other thread about this: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18750&highlight=tuberculosis

I also had the BCG vaccine as a child, and I just skip the Mantoux test at this point, as I know it comes out positive every time for me. I've had to have a TB test every 2 years since being in the nursing program, and go right to the xray now. Not that I'm a fan of having xrays that often, but it's the only option that most places will accept. You shouldn't need to go on the drugs.

I think that there are very likely many other people on the forum in the same boat as me, so I'm wondering if you would be willing to share your experiences.

The BCG vaccine isn't really administered to people in North America, but I had the BCG vaccine when I was younger since I wasn't born in Canada. Of course, this pretty much means that when I get a Mantoux skin test for TB (so that I can volunteer at a hospital), I am going to test positive even if I don't have TB, whether it's latent or active. I've heard of people who had the BCG vaccine but tested negative. I'm hoping that I'm that lucky *crosses fingers*

Has anybody else gone through a similar scenario? What happened in your case? Did they take into account that you had the vaccine, or did they assume that you had latent TB and put you on medication for a couple of months anyways?

It's normally not a big deal to me if I have to take pills for a couple of month, except that I had just learnt in last semester's Pharmacology courses about how hepatotoxic the particular antibiotics used for treatment of TB are so I'm really not interested in risking my liver by taking pills to cure non-existent latent TB.

i got the chest x-ray and then went on the medication for a couple of months...but didn't complete it and wasn't taking it 100% regularly anyway. silly me.

I'm a born and raised Canadian - no BCG for me, but my test showed up positive. My grandmother had TB long before I was born (when my mom was 12 and she didn't have me until 36) and I was told this should have no effect. So I'm completely unsure as to why I would test positive, but in any case, they just sent me for a chest x-ray, I think I also had some bloodwork done (maybe - it was a few years ago), and I went for a sputum test. Anybody who has healthy lungs and has done it knows that it's HARD to do a sputum test when you are healthy. Anyway, they didn't require me to go on meds because my tests (xray, sputum, blood?) came out clear I guess.

I had the BCG vaccine as well since I wasn't born in Canada. I *fortunately* tested negative. A friend of mine tested positive and she just had to get a chest x-ray which came back negative and she was good to go! It's not a big deal..just have to "suffer" through a chest X-ray if you test positive.

Yup i am in the same boat..i lived in the middle east and was born in India...i had to get a TB for high school..tested positive because of BCG..went for a chest X-ray...and it was fine...they asked me if i wanted to go on meds..i said no because there are too many side effects to it..Some ppl i know did take those meds..soo u should be fine as long as ur chest X-ray looks normal

Archived