Premed 101 Forums

Transfer Credits and Med Applications.

I'm planning on taking Organic Chemistry this summer at York since UTM doesn't offer it. The only problem I have is that I might not get a transfer credit for the course from UTM and will have to redo it.

Let's suppose I don't get the credit when applying to medical schools must I submit the mark. And won't it look strange that I have two Organic Chemistry courses.

I'm planning on taking Organic Chemistry this summer at York since UTM doesn't offer it. The only problem I have is that I might not get a transfer credit for the course from UTM and will have to redo it.

Let's suppose I don't get the credit when applying to medical schools must I submit the mark. And won't it look strange that I have two Organic Chemistry courses.

i've done this before. except it wasn't required for my program, i was just doing it as a prereq (physics). just try to get the transfer credit! if you get the letter of permission, have a good reason, and do reasonably well, you should get it if there is a similar course at UTM.

Let's suppose I don't get the credit when applying to medical schools must I submit the mark.

When you apply to med school, you must claim all courses you took at any post-secondary institution. Thus, the course will count toward your med school applications, regardless of whether or not your home institution grants you a transfer credit.

Depending upon the med school, however, the course may not count toward your calculated GPA. That is, many schools don't consider marks earned during the summer term. For those schools, the mark you get in your summer courses doesn't matter. For other schools, it will still count though.

Elaine

Archived