Premed 101 Forums

Will non-science courses make adcoms think I'm not serious about medicine?

I was wondering if med schools would think “something is fishy” depending on what courses you’ve taken. I have a lot of math courses since I am a math major but that’s not my worry. I have taken some higher level business courses as well (not a lot). I also got a very small internship with a firm to do some analysis work for a couple of months. My worry is that I don’t want med schools to think that medicine is a second priority for me or that I am just trying my luck at med school as I have an alterative goal in mind. Is this even a possibility or am I just being stupid?:confused:

Thanks a bunch! and Go Sens!!:)

I was wondering if med schools would think “something is fishy” depending on what courses you’ve taken. I have a lot of math courses since I am a math major but that’s not my worry. I have taken some higher level business courses as well (not a lot). I also got a very small internship with a firm to do some analysis work for a couple of months. My worry is that I don’t want med schools to think that medicine is a second priority for me or that I am just trying my luck at med school as I have an alterative goal in mind. Is this even a possibility or am I just being stupid?:confused:

Thanks a bunch! and Go Sens!!:)

My question to you is do you really want to go to medical school and become a physician?

My question to you is do you really want to go to medical school and become a physician?

Of course, I could give you reasons but you’ve probably heard them before. However, I’ll be completely honest. I have thought about the situation (many many times..) where I apply multiple times and still don’t get accepted – I guess there are places like the Caribbean and Ireland that people can go but they are not a guarantee. This thought scares the crap out of me. If this hypothetical situation somehow came true, I would have to do something with my Math degree and I don’t really like the “becoming a prof” road. The internship gave me a chance to do some “applied math” and I took the opportunity. My main concern is, will medical schools ask the same questions you asked because of my choice. I don’t see how it’s different from a person who might do a small research stint in the summer however I feel the situation can be viewed very differently.

Of course, I could give you reasons but you’ve probably heard them before. However, I’ll be completely honest. I have thought about the situation (many many times..) where I apply multiple times and still don’t get accepted – I guess there are places like the Caribbean and Ireland that people can go but they are not a guarantee. This thought scares the crap out of me. If this hypothetical situation somehow came true, I would have to do something with my Math degree and I don’t really like the “becoming a prof” road. The internship gave me a chance to do some “applied math” and I took the opportunity. My main concern is, will medical schools ask the same questions you asked because of my choice. I don’t see how it’s different from a person who might do a small research stint in the summer however I feel the situation can be viewed very differently.

Like most of us aspiring physicians, if this in your heart to do this you'll pour every inch of your soul to fulfill your dream (whatever it takes) and more importantly, you understand what being a physician is all about!

if worse case scenario you do not get accepted, it is always good idea to have a plan B. Some field of interest that you would also love to do and be content with.

Ciao.

Don't worry about it. I have an engineering degree, 6 work terms in engineering and currently work as an engineer at a firm in NL. Beyond first year, I didn't have any opportunity to complete any "traditional" premed courses (at MUN engineers have a set list of courses with a few engineering electives). It was never an issue for me, I've been offered an OOP seat for Dal.

Of course I got the "Why medicine when you've done an extremely difficult professional degree already?" questions, but that's to be expected. All you have to do is make sure you now your reasons and make them clear. I found every panel was quite interested in my background. Hell, maybe it's just a nice way to break up the string of biochem/bio majors that they must see (no offense to biochem/bio majors).

As for an internship, that will never be viewed as a negative thing. It gives you real world experience. You learn how the business world actually works. you learn how to apply what you know to the real world, which is good experience for any doctor. If anything it makes you a stronger candidate then someone who has never had to work in that type of environment. No course in school prepares you in how to negotiate office/govt bureaucracy. It adds great depth to your application. You gain all kinds of experiences in team environments and problem solving to draw on. It gives you a back up plan to your application. And most people are going to like the fact that you can plan for the unknown.

You're worrying about nothing. Concentrate on getting good marks and gaining experience.

Why question someone's motives? It doesn't answer their questions. A person's reasons can be whatever they want, this forum is to help people by answering questions not to question their motives or criticize for any reason.

Sorry but I've seen so many people on the board doing this and it's not helping anybody.

To the original poster: No, I don't think med schools will hold it against you. They may ask in an interview to talk about it but I don't think it'll hinder your application. Med schools welcome a variety of students from different backgrounds and if anything, your application will stand out.

Why question someone's motives? It doesn't answer their questions. A person's reasons can be whatever they want, this forum is to help people by answering questions not to question their motives or criticize for any reason.

Sorry but I've seen so many people on the board doing this and it's not helping anybody.

.....^Totally agree. It's kind of obvious that this person wants to become a physician as they posted a concerned question on a pre med forum.:rolleyes:

My worry is that I don’t want med schools to think that medicine is a second priority for me or that I am just trying my luck at med school as I have an alterative goal in mind. Is this even a possibility or am I just being stupid?:confused:

As long as you don't make it look like med school is a second priority for you (ie. spending more time working on your internship than volunteering at a hospital), then your business background should add character to your app if anything. Perhaps treat it as an extra curricular if you can, and when asked about it, find the relationship between the activity and your desire to be a physician. Good luck:)

i think a lot of medical schools will see it as a sign of maturity that you've got a decent and unique backup plan. plus your background will bring something special to your class, wherever you get accepted... you may be in the running for a few of those niche spots - there's always a few students in each med class that didn't take the usual route. Enjoy what you're doing and don't worry... most interview panels won't even see your transcript!

Chill ... :)

to the OP: If you are worried that adcoms may feel you aren't as committed to medicine due to summer activities/coursework, I would suggest spending some time getting acquainted with the medical field. In my opinion, this can be done through volunteering, shadowing, or medical research.

Try contacting physicians and see if you can spend some time shadowing in a clinical environment so you get a taste for what a day in the life of a doctor is all about. Volunteering is also helpful here, too. Spending time with patients and within a medical setting gives one a chance to observe medicine within specific contexts.

Also, research is another option - especially if it can be done within a clinical setting.

Archived