Premed 101 Forums

How to Break 8 on EK Verbal

aclementine

Go back to your old tests and take a look at what types of questions you're getting wrong. It might be the same type of questions (eg. If you're consistently getting questions about specific details in the passage wrong, then maybe you need to put more effor to go back and find details for that type of question.) Or do you get all the questions wrong in an entire passage?

I think that might help you figure out what the next step might be for you.

Good luck!

Watch out for timing errors... I used old MCAT tests and consistently got 12 or 13, but when I got to the real exam, the timekeeper stopped the exam five minutes short of everyone's count, which meant i guessed point blank at the last 6 questions, not having had time to read the 9th passage. I got 9 in VR because of this, though I believe I would have gotten at least 11, which I got in previous actual MCAT sittings.:confused:

For some strange reason, I completely don't remember what my Verbal on last August' MCAT was like. I really have a fuzzy recollection of it, but for people who remember their MCATs, how much of it is really based on the big idea?

Kaplan likes to test details sometimes, yet I find EK hardly ever tests details. Is AAMC more 'big-idea' focused or detail-focused?

This is really bugging me now..I can't believe I wrote it and have no recollection! I just remember feeling weird after the thing, and then no memories.

I definitely recall detail questions. There were also a lot of conjecture-type questions - "given the information in the passage, how do you think the author would feel about issue X?" "do you think the author would support issue Y?" and the likes.

Given that, I had the same scores on EK and AAMC Verbals (I took 3 EK and 2 AAMC).

What would be the best way to handle detail questions? Now we cant' circle, underline, write notes, etc. and it's really annoying me. The highlighting thing is SO slow, did you guys even use it when you were writing CBT?

I try to remember, but it's hard to go back. And I heard that the search function wasn't even there.

What would be the best way to handle detail questions? Now we cant' circle, underline, write notes, etc. and it's really annoying me. The highlighting thing is SO slow, did you guys even use it when you were writing CBT?

I didn't find the highlighting function to be slow at all when I did the free CBT 3R test.

I didn't find the highlighting function to be slow at all when I did the free CBT 3R test.

I mean relative to just underlining it yourself by hand. The plus side is that there's no more bubbling.

Did you guys also have the "Review" answers at the end? I find that thing really helpful.

With verbal, the best advice I can give is get into it. Don't read it like it's a test, read it like it's the most amazingly interesting thing you've ever read. Actually convince yourself that you're interested, even if you couldn't care less. It's hard to "learn" to write verbal, I found it's more of a mindset thing... if you can read it like it's your favorite book, it makes things a whole lot easier; it helps keep things in context, and you'll remember details better.

Doing that, verbal ended up being my best section!!

Good luck!

This is probably due to the experimental passage. So you'll have 7, but only 6 will be used to calculate your score.

Hmmm...true.

They also add this line, "Please note that each multiple-choice section will include some experimental items that do not count toward your score."

hey guys, i've recently discovered this forum and i'm so glad i did!

I'm actually taking the kaplan course right now and the instructor told us that the MCAT VR will actually consist of 7 passages. AAMC originally intended to only include 6 (which is why some of the kaplan books say 6) but they changed it. My instructor also pointed out that one or two would be "experimental" passages.

So there are 7 passages, but only 6 are used to calculate the score? Is one passage just going to be left out during the scoring, or are certain questions within each passage going to be left out? What are 'experimental' passages?

So there are 7 passages, but only 6 are used to calculate the score? Is one passage just going to be left out during the scoring, or are certain questions within each passage going to be left out? What are 'experimental' passages?

I can only answer your last question. The results of experimental questions are for AAMC's sole use. How everyone performs on the experimental questions helps AAMC create future sittings of the test. Some of those experimental questions may appear on a future MCAT!

Archived