Premed 101 Forums

Question for UDM med

1. does anyone know whether it would be easier to get into UDM med if you go into say dentistry and complete its "premed" year, which is actually the same as med's premed year. Do they give preference to their own students? because i know some schools do.

2. would they then only count the "premed" gpa into the CRU or would they still count your previous bachlor's CRU plus ur "premed" year and combine it?

Or are they weighed differently??

I'm so confused as to what to do... whether I should do a masters and then reapply to med or just do a premed year at UDM.. since I would have to do that premed year anyways

1. does anyone know whether it would be easier to get into UDM med if you go into say dentistry and complete its "premed" year, which is actually the same as med's premed year. Do they give preference to their own students? because i know some schools do.

2. would they then only count the "premed" gpa into the CRU or would they still count your previous bachlor's CRU plus ur "premed" year and combine it?

I'm so confused as to what to do... whether I should do a masters and then reapply to med or just do a premed year at UDM.. since I would have to do that premed year anyways

i don't understand, are you completing you bachelor or your DEC degree?

But I've already finished my bacc and got accepted into dent at udm but what i really want is medicine. So I'm debating on whether i should do one year of dentistry (ie premed year) and then reapply to med OR whether i should do a masters for one year and then reapply ( because you get ur CRU multiplied with a masters)

If you didn't get the interview, your problem is only related to your GPA. So I suggest you try the m.a. option, because according to what I heard, the premed is absolutely not a piece of cake and it will not be easy for you to increase your GPA in premed. On the other hand, a masters degree will be related to your field of study and it will be much more easy for you to increase your grades there. And if you try an admission to Sherbrooke, they give you a bonus for your masters.

The weight of your premed is simply relative to the number of credits. Your bacc. was 90 credits, your premed would be something around 40 credits... But they have a complicated formula, where they take in account the strenght of your group and a coefficient for the difficulty of your program. It is then very difficult for you to evaluate what would be your best move.

I did a bacc. non-connexe myself, and I really think that premed is going to be hard for me, beacuse the type of studies is so different. So unless you're absolutely certain that your grades are going to be incredible in premed, I suggest the m.a. option. That said, if you're a little interested in staying in dentistry, it could still be a valuable option...

Dentistry is hard work. It's like 10 courses, like 25 credits per semester. If you don't like it, it's gonna be quite demotivational to do it, and your GPA might suffer. Plus, in your first year, you have to buy all your dental equipment, which might end up being expensive, should you only use it a few months... Up to you, think about it! :P

"premed is absolutely not a piece of cake and it will not be easy for you to increase your GPA in premed"

Actually, what I've heard from a guy at TR (now starting 2nd year) is that premed IS a piece of cake (averages are very high, lots of partying and such...)

Thanks for the feedback!!

CutieYellow, don't you only have dent courses in 1st year of dent and not "premed" year.. I thought premed year was composed of basic science courses that all med, dent, optometry students have to take if they have a non connexe

although I'm not too sure why they say I need to do a premed year... I have a science bacc... so i've done anatomy, physiology classes... so i'm thinking (and hoping) i should get some exemptions and hence an "easier premed year" but 40 credits in premed year? That's a lot! That's like 5 classes... is that really true??

To answer your question,

The premed year is COMPLETEL DIFFERENT than the predent year. Both of them are apparently death on earth... but I heard that predent year is more a hell on earth than the premed one. My best friend is at uofm med, and my other one is in dent uofm... and we all came to the conclusion that last year, my friend in dent was the one who suffered the most ;) I don,t know if it can help you in your decision... but to make it clear: predent = a difficult year, with a lot of work. People around you will be very good. However, I know one person in my class of med who did the predent year and then entered McGill Med.

Gab

Ya, i was in pharmacy first yr, and we had predents in our classes, and they were telling us it was HELL. They said they had 10 courses, and that it was craaazzzyyy. This was back in 2003 though, so it might have changed since then ? Though i doubt it'll be a piece of cake.

Archived