Premed 101 Forums

When does OMSAS information come out?

when does the omsas instruction booklet (pdf file) come out and when does the application become available?....when we order transcripts do we pay it once and ask our univ. to send it to omsas or to different ontario schools (a copy each)??...even for references...do we just send a copy to omsas to be distributed to the schools?....

________

grape ape

hahaha slow down... i don't think the application becomes available till late june or mid july. hahaha i was like this last year... but when it came down to it i submitted my application at like 3am the day of :P. I'll answer your questions just for the sake of completion: you fill out a form online that gives omsas the ability to request transcripts from your university (they'll charge you 8$ for it once you submit your application online). References are asked to send their letter + a form about you to omsas who then does the paperwork and sends copies to other universities. I don't know how much change there is from year to year for the handbook... you could probably still find the old one online....

I don't know when the new booklet comes out, but I'll try to answer your questions:

1. I opened my account in July, but I think it opens up a little before that. In the mean time you should do this: Make a list of all the activites you have done (work, volunteer, extracurriculars, research, awards) and get a contact person, including address and phone number for each one. If you start this, the application will be really easy.

2. If you attend an Ontario university, you order your transcript through OMSAS. They add a charge to your application I think and you only need to send one. *As a side note, I was surprised that a UofT transcript through OMSAS is cheaper than through ROSI*

3. Your referees will send a letter to OMSAS which will distribute them to the schools you apply to. Just one copy is required. Letters also have an accompanying form which you'll download from OMSAS.

edit: Like Dante, I submitted mine just a few hours before the deadline. You have time and applying early means nothing in terms of chances for an interview. So take your time rather than applying early.

Archived