Premed 101 Forums

chances of canadians applying to us schools

From what I gathered, canadians applying to US schools that accept internationals are not that much disadvantaged because its for the most part its in state vs OOS. Why then, is the matriculation:applicant ratio for internationals significantly lower than matriculation:applicant ratio for residents (I was looking at the MSAR book, and so i assume that resident = in state, and non-resident was OOS, and i international was other country with no PR status)

I apologize to the moderators for posting in the International schools forum, I thought i was in the "Applying to American schools forum"

Why then, is the matriculation:applicant ratio for internationals significantly lower than matriculation:applicant ratio for residents

The information you are talking is comparing in-state and international statistics - of course in-state ratios will be way higher. They are in-state at a public school that has a quota for IS to fill!

OOS is also a loaded term. Some of these OOS may not have legal residency in the state, but have family there, attended undergrad there, etc. This gives these OOS applicants a boost in the process compared to other OOS's as well as internationals who've never set foot in the state.

The information you are talking is comparing in-state and international statistics - of course in-state ratios will be way higher. They are in-state at a public school that has a quota for IS to fill!

OOS is also a loaded term. Some of these OOS may not have legal residency in the state, but have family there, attended undergrad there, etc. This gives these OOS applicants a boost in the process compared to other OOS's as well as internationals who've never set foot in the state.

So i take it its as disadvantageous as an ontario resident applying to OOP schools?

Ok, you lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about anymore.

Sorry I should clarify myself a bit better. SO my original post is in summary discussing that the matriculation:applicant ratio of internationals is much lower than matriculation:applicant ratio of In state students.

So therefore It can be deduced that In state students are preferred over international students. Me bringing up the analogy of ontario residents applying to OOP schools is just an attempt to quantify how much of a disadvantage international students have when applying to a US school compared with an ontario student applying to say, UofA,UofC,UBC, etc

Well, at some schools Canadians are considered out-of-state and not international. Also, private schools don't care if an applicant is in-state or out-of-state. If you have a solid MCAT, I'd say it's easier to get into a US school rather than an OOP school (assuming you're Ontarian).

Archived