Premed 101 Forums

writing sample

sickgirl

Practice practice practice. The very first time I totally bombed this section because I was way more preoccupied with the other section and didn't think it would be a problem. If you go to the AAMC page they have a long list of prompts that you can use to practice with as well as some examples of essays and their scores. Start by taking a look at those and try writing a couple of essays in the time limit.

This is an easy way to get in lots of ideas out before the test: Take the list of past statements from AAMC and for each one, quickly writed down how you are interpreting the statements, then think and write down an example supporting the statement and another sentence that is an example against the statement. Remember that your examples should support how you defined the statement. Sometimes I found it easier to read the statement, think of an example that supports the statement, then define the statement based on the example I'm using, and then trying to think of a counterexample. Doing this over and over again let's you gather a pool of examples that you have ready for the test day. Good luck!

well i *was* confident in my writing abilities until i decided to actually start worrying about this part of the exam! anyway, i got the list from the AAMC website (thanks for the suggestion) and i guess i'll put my nose to the grindstone for the night!

good luck all!

lol...don't worry, some strong writers have been known to get S or T with very little practice...oh and i didn't mean the aamc prompts...i was talking about actual examples from the news that can be used as support or counterexample to the statements they give u...myself and others have found it pretty useful...anyway, let me know if u change ur mind the hour befor the mcat lol :P good luck!! in 2 days u shall be freeeee! :D

i would *love* that list of prompts, then. can you message it to me? that's so awesome of you.

and yes, i know, in less than 48 hours i will be so very happy and free! just the fact that it's over with will be a relief...i'm not going to worry about the results until i actually have them!

thanks so much, you guys are all so supportive & helpful!

lol...don't worry, some strong writers have been known to get S or T with very little practice...oh and i didn't mean the aamc prompts...i was talking about actual examples from the news that can be used as support or counterexample to the statements they give u...myself and others have found it pretty useful...anyway, let me know if u change ur mind the hour befor the mcat lol :P good luck!! in 2 days u shall be freeeee! :D

Avenir, can I have them too? you've got plenty of useful stuff :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived