Premed 101 Forums

verifiers?

Guest swimmer

• 8 months later...
Guest peachy

I don't know for sure, but the feeling in past discussions here has been that they will only check if there is a suspected discrepancy in your file.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blinknoodle

I also have a question on verifiers. Who can they be? Should Do they have to be someone involved in that specific activity, or can it be someone who knows I did it. I contact them beforehand to warn them that I'm sticking them in as a verifier? Furthermore, as bad as it may sound, could I stick my parents in as verifiers? As an example, I have a few music awards from high school, but my music teacher now lives in the Cayman Islands -- I don't know if anyone from my high school would remember anything specific (but my parents remember!).

As well, what's up with the comments section?

Thanks!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I think that the idea is to get someone other than a relative to act as a verifier, but in cases where such a person could not be reached (ie: your music teacher), I'm sure that it is okay to use someone who knows you did what you say you did and is willing to vouch for you. I used a few high school and university friends when I was stuck for more "authoritative" verifiers. If you're really stuck, go ahead and use a relative, but I'd generally advise against using an immediate family member (ie: mother).

Best of luck!

Timmy

Back when I was completing my application, I put individuals who were actually involved in that activity as verifiers. They don't have to be the leader/co-ordinator or anything (since they probably won't know who you are), but I think anyone with a position in that organization is better than your parents! It's just a matter of credibility. And yes, you should let your verifiers know that they may be contacted by the admissions people.

As for your music award question, I don't believe awards require verifiers (at least I didn't provide any!). So that should solve that problem :rollin

Finally, in the comments section, I simply filled out the role/position of the verifier. Not sure if that's what we're supposed to do, but since McMaster required that we describe the position of the verifier, that's where I put it!

Hope that helped! :)

Guest peachy

I think it's pretty much up to you how you want to deal with the verifiers thing.

I personally didn't tell any of my verifiers that I was putting them down, 'cause I figured that it was more trouble than it was worth. I also frequently listed institutions instead of people if it was easier, like I listed the office of my high school for anything from high school, and I listed "Volunteer Services, Hospital Name" for volunteer positions, etc. I did verify everything, though, even if it was just an entry indicating that they could verify my university awards by looking at transcript notations, etc. ;)

I'm certain that I had verifiers who wouldn't have remembered some of the things that I wrote down. But I figured that as long as I was honest about what I wrote down, then if they did end up checking with the verifiers then it would work out. Like my high school would have said "We're not sure, let us check", and then called me, or whatever.

Guest turtle

Blinknoodle,

Where did you go to highschool?? My music teacher from highschool moved to the islands too...maybe that's a thing with music teachers or something, but it would be funny if it is the same person...

turtle

Guest blinknoodle

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm just starting to look at these applications, and things aren't always as clear as they could be.

Turtle, I went to Merivale High School.. I wonder how many music teachers run off to the Cayman Islands! ;)

Archived