Premed 101 Forums

Austrlia medical schools-roommates

Hello All,

I have been accepted to Queensland's medical program and I am looking for a female roommate from Toronto to live with in a two bedroom, two bath fully furnished residence on campus. Is anyone interested?

Preferably, a non-smoker, no pets.

ausmed

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Zuck,

I am not sure when the deadline is actually, but it is on a first come first serve basis.....basically a rolling admissions policy. I applied in the 2nd week of may and got my interview on June 14th. I heard back within 24 hours.

My stats...undergrad cGPA 3.5 Grad GPA 3.88

MCAT V 7

P 8

B 11

WS T

You should check out the Queensland website and apply through Oztrekk, my application was free through their service. As I last heard there have been 40 Canadian applicants and 7 people admitted post interview into the program. Good Luck, and hope my info helps.

Aus

Hey Ausmed,

Congrats on being accepted to UQ...I hear Brisbane is an amazing place to live. I just checked the oztrekk site. Seems that they need an 8/8/8 M minimum. I guess they gave you a pass even though you had a 7. I do have the cutoffs...but since it's rolling admissions I may still be at a disadvantage. What type of interview was it? They state that its a 'phone conversation'. How long was it? Good luck in finding a roommate...:)

Zuck

Hello Ironmouse,

I actually do not have a place yet, but I have been looking around and its definitely cheaper in Brisbane to be living with someone. The two bedroom, two bathroom fully furnished places go for 1650 AUD, which is about 1500CAD. So I figure that's a pretty good rate.

I am just trying to find someone who might be interested in the same sort of deal as the housing near the medical building gets taken pretty fast (like, early october) for the January session.

Ausmed

Hey Zuckman,

thanks for the congrats.

They did let the 7V slip as I did better in a previous year. Secondly, I would say, apply FAST!! You have nothing to loose, as the apps are free through OZTREKK. The worst that could happen is that you could get rejected.

The interview was over the phone and lasted an hour for me. They told me pretty much at that time that I was accepted, but I received a phone call within 24 hours confirming my offer, followed by an e-mail.

Ausmed

Well, I would describe my interview to be more like a conversation than anything else. WE TALKED for an hour, where he asked me questions about my Master's, extra-currics, what do I do in my spare time and just questions to really get to know me. My interviewer had done his residency in Toronto, so we had a lot of chat about and since my thesis is very evidence-based health care related we debated about how Toronto could improve, and what the training lacks.

But mostly I would say the traditional expected questions were asked.

Ex. Why do you want to be a physician?

How have you prepared for this career path?

What do you do in your spare time?

How would your friends describe you in 3 words.

I practiced a lot of the "Tell me about yourself" question, but it didn't come up. Hope this helps.

Ausmed

Hello Ironmouse,

I actually do not have a place yet, but I have been looking around and its definitely cheaper in Brisbane to be living with someone. The two bedroom, two bathroom fully furnished places go for 1650 AUD, which is about 1500CAD. So I figure that's a pretty good rate.

I am just trying to find someone who might be interested in the same sort of deal as the housing near the medical building gets taken pretty fast (like, early october) for the January session.

Ausmed

Hi Ausmed!

That is a really good rate! Where did you find this place? Is there a listing somewhere or on the UQ site? Are there pictures? I have PMed you with my e-mail address so we can discuss this further.

Iron Mouse

Zuckman,

I am not sure. All I know of is that all the international students receive phone interviews and that they are interviewed by an American liason or directly from someone in Queensland. I spoke to an Aussie, but my first interview was scheduled with a lady from St. Louis.

Ausmed

Hey Ausmed,

So you interviewed last year then with the lady from St.Louis? ...just curious, b/c I've applied pretty late and I want to know if I have a decent chance. Do you know if they have your MCAT, GPA with them when they interview you? Thanks for the help Ausmed, it's really appreciated.

Zuck

Hi Ausmed,

I've been accepted to Queenlsand as well for Feb start. I have not yet decided if I will attend, but I have been looking for housing. Could you send me the details of the place where you will be living? Have you figured out what you will do after with you Australian MD degree? R u planning to come back to Canada or to stay in Australia? Also, how are you funding your studies overseas.

Thanks

Joanna

Hey Zuck,

I only have applied to Queensland once and that was this year. Just to clarify, I was given an interview date initially, but could not attend the scheduled date. At this first interview date, my interviewer was this lady from St. Louis, USA. Then they rescheduled the interview and at this time it was a man (chief of paeds) from Queensland university. According to what my interviewer said to me, he didn't have my GPA or MCAT results. When you receive an interview you have already passed the academic merit stage. The interview determines whether you will be accepted or not, based on getting to your personality. Hope that helps

Ausmed

Joanna,

like I mentioned above, I don't have any links or anything of that sort. This is just information I have received by word of mouth. I am still trying to work out how I fund my education, probably through loans and line of credits.

I definitely want to come back to Canada and will be exploring my options when I am in Australia. What about yourself? Where are you from?

Ausmed

Hi Ausmed,

I live in Mississauga right now, and I can't decide wether to go or not. One, because it costs soooo much money, two, because its soo far away and three, because I dont know if I'd be able to come back here or even practice there. Ive been doing research and it's not that promising on either front. I will be taking loans for the 3 out of 4 years I'm over there, and I still do have to find a place to live and make other arrangements if I do decide to go. I got an informal acceptance via email but I have not received any of the paperwork as of yet. If you want you can email me or add me on msn, and we can chat further. Asia0606@rogers.com

Thanks

Joanna

Hey guys,

I got accepted to UQ's med school too! :D

I am also debating whether to go or not, but most likely, I'll. :)

I definitely want to make some Canadian friends before attending med school in Australia, so can I pm you guys for email addresses?

Thanks!!!

P.S. Congrats to everyone!

Hi Emi and Joanna!!!

Congrats to the both of you. Joanna I have added you to my msn since a week ago but I haven't seen you online. Either of you can send me an e-mail if you would like at loshishan4@hotmail.com.

Emi welcome aboard...

It would be nice to discuss the "issues" with getting ready to attend with the both of you!

AUSMED

Congrats Emi,

Emi I'm wondering, if possible, could you state your stats? I just applied a couple of days ago through Oztrekk so I'm wondering, how long did it take for your application to be processed? It says 5 weeks on the Oztrekk site...that makes me slightly nervous since it is rolling admissions and it seems that I've applied late.

Zuck

Archived