Premed 101 Forums

Austrlia medical schools-roommates

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I also received an offer of acceptance to UQ and in the past two weeks I have gone from being completely thrilled to completely confused about what to do.

I’ve been through the Canadian medical school application cycle twice now with no success. I applied to Australia more as a whim to see and as it turned out I got in. Now I don’t know what to do. Do I go or do I stay and try my luck at the Canadian Med School game?

I know that it would be a great experience to go to Australia but I wonder if I am screwing myself over for coming back to Canada to do a residency and eventually practice. I am also wondering how I am going to pay for it all. Has anyone found a bank that will give a professional student loan to those attending international schools? And let's not forget all the other issues that go along with transplanting yourself on the other side of the world (getting there, living arrangements, the stress it will put on relationships and the added stress it will be living away from loved ones and friends etc.).

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-kgd :confused:

Hi Kgd,

I was in the same thought process as you a few weeks ago. I've also applied 2x in Canada, got interviewed 2x , and still nothing. I've decided to go and try my luck in Australia. It will be difficult to come back but that doesnt mean that you can't. IF there's a will then there's a way. What you should consider is doing electives and internships in Canada as much as possible if you wish to return. Also, IMG's can now match alongside the Canadian students in the first round (this was not the case a few years back). I'm planning to take out loans. There is Can Help or something like that which is a US bank that gives loans to students going overseas and their rates aren't that bad. They give up to 25K USD/year without a cosigner, more if you have one. As for living and moving, yeah it will be hard, but you gotta take some risks in life, plus you will not be the only one in that boat, we all are. Ultimatley it is your own personal decision, if you choose to go or not. Maybe you should do more research about IMG's coming back to Canada.The way I see it, who knows what will happen in 4 years with the doctor shortages and medical schools not increasing the number of spaces significantly, restrictions for IMG's might ease a bit, and I'll go with that though in my mind.

hello everyone nice to see that there are a lot of Canadians going/planning on going to Queensland this Jan.

I was accepted into the program about a month ago and it's nice that we have a venue that we can use to share thoughts and concerns.

I graduated from Mcgill with a bio degree and I am still in Montreal right now.

Feel free to add me to msn messenger : i4488888@hotmail.com

Facebook: Sean Chan (search under Mcgill network)

Hey kgd and millencolin16v,

Congrats to the both of you!

Kgd, I totally understand your concern...I'm still debating whether to go or not because I do want to come back to Canada and practice in the future.

I'm especially concerned after hearing this from Matt today...

"With regards to the number of offers, via our office along the University

has handed our 37 to Canadian students, including you. Yes, this is unusual

to previous years, as in previous years there were about 24 or so Canadian

in the program each year. However, the number of places was only around 40,

whereas this year there are around 80 available and I think that there may

be as many as 60 Canadians in the program."

It's good to know that there will be 60 Canadian friends who will be on the same boat with me to go through both tough and fun times in Australia. But this also means getting back to Canada will be very competitive. I just hope Canada will increase IMG residency spots by 2011.

We should all get together before Jan in Canada to exchange info! :D

Hey guys,

I haven't been accepted to Oz since I just submitted my application 1 day ago...but from my research on the IMG situation, it's not too good for Canada. If you're really focused on a very competitive specialty such as radiology, derm, plastics, anesthesia, then it's not the best idea to go IMG. These specialties are very difficult to get into even as a Canadian MG...If you're not focused on these very competitive specialties then I think the IMG route is awesome...we get to learn about another country and culture which I think is the best thing about going to another country for Med.

As for myself, I'm not focused on the competitive specialties...so I plan to go IMG and likely do family practise. It is quite simple to come back as a family doctor to Canada. As a family doctor, you can even do your residency in Australia and come back quite simply...as far as I know there currently is a transfer agreement between the two countries.

If I decide that FP is not for me, then I'll try another specialty (but not a competitive one) and go to the US where it's easier to match to the NRMP.

Zuck

Hey ALL,

I am really excited to hear that there are as many as 60 canadians who will attend UQ. It means that we can rely on each other to help each other settle in and work through the glitches of coming back.

I am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me. I interviewed on june 27th and got an unofficial e-mail stating I have been accepted, but nothing further as of yet. Has anyone who interviewed around the same time as me got an offer letter and deposit form? I am beginning to get a little nervous.

I know of some people who have gone to UQ and who are doing their final year rotations back in Canada. They say it hasn't been a culture shock, or that difficult to get spots for rotations back in Canada, but they encouraged me to stay there, because it gets quite expensive to keep travelling back and forth. I have family here....so I definitely want to come back as much as I can.

Ausmed

Hey ausmed,

I got an email from Matt last Friday with official letter from UQ & a package that explains what to do next.

Maybe you haven't received it, because he doesn't know you got an offer? Email him and I'm sure he'll send them to you immediately.

Hey guys,

I will be going the IMG route soon, don't know where yet..depends who accepts me. I've done some research in returning back to Canada...it doesn't seem good but coming to the States is not too bad. But there will be some Visa problems and we'll need to perform very well on the USMLE's. Here's a link on the IMG situation. It's quite a negative review on the situation by a Canadian who had gone to SABA in the Carribean. But, the review is actually very informative and quite realistic (but too pessimistic).

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

SABA is one of the big 4 in the Carribean which means it has very good match stats to the NRMP in the States...but like other Carribean schools they've never had a great reputation..largely because many of the bad Carribean schools rub off poorly on some of the actual good ones. Some people match very well from the Carribean...one person matched to Orthpedics in McMaster from St.Georges this year.

From what I know, as IMG's we'll all be in the same group. In the past, (pre 1993) grads from Oz, UK, S.Africa, etc were in the same group as the States, not so anymore. So we'll have to compete with UK grads, Carrib grads, etc. But it's good to know the details before any of us make a decision to go IMG. Hope this helps.

Zuck

Hey guys,

I will be going the IMG route soon, don't know where yet..depends who accepts me. I've done some research in returning back to Canada...it doesn't seem good but coming to the States is not too bad. But there will be some Visa problems and we'll need to perform very well on the USMLE's. Here's a link on the IMG situation. It's quite a negative review on the situation by a Canadian who had gone to SABA in the Carribean. But, the review is actually very informative and quite realistic (but too pessimistic).

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

SABA is one of the big 4 in the Carribean which means it has very good match stats to the NRMP in the States...but like other Carribean schools they've never had a great reputation..largely because many of the bad Carribean schools rub off poorly on some of the actual good ones. Some people match very well from the Carribean...one person matched to Orthpedics in McMaster from St.Georges this year.

From what I know, as IMG's we'll all be in the same group. In the past, (pre 1993) grads from Oz, UK, S.Africa, etc were in the same group as the States, not so anymore. So we'll have to compete with UK grads, Carrib grads, etc. But it's good to know the details before any of us make a decision to go IMG. Hope this helps.

Zuck

That is good to know, but I don't think you guys should worry.

I am a recent UQ Grad and am now doing my residency in Toronto.

I must say UQ was an amazing experience and I encourage all Canadians to apply. Even better now since they have recently increased spots.

Brisbane is no different than other major urban cities in Canada; so no need to worry about not fitting in.

James.

Everyone, just a bit of advice for you which I wish I would’ve gotten a few years ago. I’m in my 3rd year at the University of Queensland and it’s been alright. I came here after my undergrad after being quite disgruntled since I had been rejected from Canada. In hindsight, I would’ve likely done a Master’s to try again in Canada.

There are many reasons for this. At the time, it seemed like getting into med as soon as possible was the most important thing in the world. But really, going to Oz doesn’t save any time really since the hurdles to come to Canada take so much time.

The biggest thing I wish I knew was the cost. Tuition will kill me, but that was a given from the start. However, there are other things and the costs definitely go up!!! Going overseas is an expensive gamble so don't be too short-sighted. Just really give it some thought and don’t make a drastic decision. I wish I had thought about it a little more...but anyways, what’s done is done and I’ve had some fun times here…Best of luck.

Oh....I forgot to mention anything about the school. Generally we get a good education. Brisbane is quite sunny but it’s one hour from the beach :(. If I had more of a choice when I got in, I would’ve gone to Sydney or Melbourne…they’re much closer to the beach ..but more costly as well…so hard decision… But, I didn’t have the marks for those schools. Also guys, Flinder’s is really good...it has the oldest grad-entry program in Oz and I’ve only heard good things. Best of luck with the decision guys!!

what would say are some bad things about Queensland in terms of education? are classes very big?

do you know if its hard to do internship in Australia? i know internationals don't have problem now, but 4 years later, spaces will be stretched i heard....

and is it actually easier (i'm Canadian) to try to get into residency in US than in Canada from Australia?

thanks

what would say are some bad things about Queensland in terms of education? are classes very big?

do you know if its hard to do internship in Australia? i know internationals don't have problem now, but 4 years later, spaces will be stretched i heard....

and is it actually easier (i'm Canadian) to try to get into residency in US than in Canada from Australia?

thanks

Hey,

I found the education very pleasing. The professors were very friendly and helpful. And most of the students were easy to get along with.

That said, I found classes to be a good size, could of been smaller for some; but I actually prefer the larger class size as I am quite used to it.

As for internship, I think it can change from year to year depending on the competition. But again, they have wonderful admin staff there that can help you out with many of your concerns.

James.

The education has been alright but I would say there are waaaay too many students. It's pretty enormous for a medical class :o . I would prefer smaller...something like Flinder's size. UofQ is also investing in online lectures so that you may/may not like.

I find the physician's here are quite helpful but I find the marking of the tests is very very poor...not sure if it's like that anywhere else.

If you want more choice in residency then going to the US would be easier than Canada, even as a Canadian.

My advice is, apply to other Oz schools as well and then you'll have choice. Then you can really pick what suits your personlity. I know that many would not like the UQ size and other things about this school.

o man, online lectures? so they'll be canceling lectures and putting stuff online.... i don't like the sound of that... seems to be moving backwards...

and queensland require a deposit of ~$9000AUD by aug24.... that doesn't leave much time for waiting for other schools.... man.....

o man, online lectures? so they'll be canceling lectures and putting stuff online.... i don't like the sound of that... seems to be moving backwards...

and queensland require a deposit of ~$9000AUD by aug24.... that doesn't leave much time for waiting for other schools.... man.....

Hey,

Don't worry too much about the online lecture thing. It won't happen anytime soon, and if it does, it would probably only be for a few classes for the better.

Generally, all places you apply for as an international student requires some sort of a deposit whether small or large. This will tell the university to reserve you a spot in their class. If you are really up for it, you shouldn't be worrying too much about costs since studying abroad is going to be expensive in one way or another.

As for waiting, I highly recommend that you make your decision soon since many other students are probably applying now and if you don't act, you lose your spot.

James.

Thanks UQ_Grad for your post.

I'm just wondering, can international students (graduated frrom an Aus school) apply to other states like NSW, etc. to do internship? And is it hard to get a visa to do internship?

just 1 more question, do you know people who apply for australian citizenship right after completing the program? is it difficult to apply right after graduating and just before start of internship?

Thanks!

Hi paulchemguy,

I spoke to Matt about whether the deposit is refundable. He said that the tuition portion (not the insurance portion) is refundable but there will be a $1000 AUD administrative fee for canceling. So I think losing $1000 AUD is not so bad if you're going to be spending $250 000 going to medical school overseas anyway.

Hi Everyone,

I also got accepted to UQ. Unlike everyone else, I would like to stay in Australia and practice medicine there once I finish. I've heard very conflicting information on how easy this will be. If anyone has any information from a legitimate source on this topic please let me know. Also, I was thinking of living in dorms first year, possibly at the international house. Is anyone else considering this option?

Congrats Alexandra!

I've applied as well but I applied very late so I have a few questions...would you be able to PM me? First, what were your stats like? Also, how long did it take for your application to be processed? Thanks a lot.

From what I know, if you want to work in Oz it won't be hard...BUT...you will need PR and only about 10yrs after (maybe less if you sign rural contracts) can you start private...this is from what I've read. So from what I know, on a financial perspective it's not too great to stay in Oz because of that 10yr moratorium...better to go to the US because you'll be able to practise right after residency. However, this is just from my personal research and there may be new factors involved that I may not know of. Waiting for your PM :)

Zuck

Hi Alexandra, Emi and Everyone

I have been looking at International House as a possible option for housing next year. But I am not sure how I feel about living in a dorm again. I'm 25, I've lived on my own for a few years now and the idea of going back and living in a dorm with a bunch of 17 year olds really does my head in. I remember what I was like when I was in my first year of undergrad and I'm not sure if it's 100% the kind of environment I want to be in to start my first year of med school. But then again the idea of moving to Brisbane without permanent housing set up scares me as well. Even though I think that I would feel much more at home in my own place. But then there is the whole question of finding a place, finding a roommate etc. good thing there's 6 months to get this all sorted.

Are you 100% set on International House? If so, can I ask what factors lead you to this decision?

Has anyone else made a decision about living on or off campus? Is anyone looking for a roommate? Like I said before, I’m 25, female, non-smoker, I have a significant other (but he’s not coming for my first year due to his own career commitments and ambitions), I’m from the Maritimes, a little bit of a neat freak but otherwise pretty laid back.

And Emi, thanks for your advice last week. It was really helpful in calming me down, just knowing that others are going through the same range of emotions as I am. If you are still going to UQ we should exchange contact info before we get there its always nice to know someone! (or if you not I'd love to know why ... I'm 80/20 that I'm going to go but it still such a big decision)

-kgd

Hi Kgd,

I am 22 years old and I have also been living on my own for the last couple of years so I understand exactly what you mean about not wanting to live with 18 year olds that are on their own for the first time and more concerned with partying then studying.

However, for me personally, dorm is still a great option because of the convenience and location. I like studying at the library so the dorm atmosphere won't interfere with my studying time. There are also rules about noise levels, especially during exam periods and weekdays, so that will help as well (I can use my trusty earplugs too if worse comes to worse). I also like the fact that the dorms are on campus and 80% of our time will be spend at St. lucia first year. Most importantly, I like the convenience of not having to buy and prepare food.

Everybody says that dorms are expensive compared to off-campus housing but I don’t know if this is the case. I have to calculate it out and see how much I would be spending off-campus with rent, utilities, transportation and groceries. I know that living in dorms is about 12 000AUD /year for most of them. I think this is a great price, keeping in mind that utilities are included and how much time you save since you don’t need to grocery shop, prepare food or commute longer distances.

That being said though, I am open to off-campus living as well. I tried adding everyone to msn from here but nobody seems to ever be online.

can someone please explain to me the 10 year moratorium rule?

so after i grad from aus med school, finish internship, get PR, i can ONLY work in a rural place for 10years before the restrictions are lifted? i can't even work in the city in a public hospital until after the 10 years?

Archived