Premed 101 Forums

If You are hesitant on coming to UQ, I'd say give it one more shot in Canada or US!!!

PaulChemGuy,

I guess that's true. However, it depends on the person. Some people are happier feeling that they gave it a few tries in Canada/US. They feel that you either face the hardship of getting into Canada now...or go IMG and face it later. Some people say going to med anywhere is alright. But that's where self-reflection comes in. Some people want to be surgeons, dermatologists...well...if that's the case, then it's a no brainer..stay in North America. Some people like the achievement of getting into Canada or the US since the selection process is much more difficult. It all depends on the person....:)

Zuck

PaulChemGuy,

I guess that's true. However, it depends on the person. Some people are happier feeling that they gave it a few tries in Canada/US. They feel that you either face the hardship of getting into Canada now...or go IMG and face it later. Some people say going to med anywhere is alright. But that's where self-reflection comes in. Some people want to be surgeons, dermatologists...well...if that's the case, then it's a no brainer..stay in North America. Some people like the achievement of getting into Canada or the US since the selection process is much more difficult. It all depends on the person....:)

Zuck

ah Zuck, i agree with you. sometimes i do have the feeling of only wanting to go to a can/us school because i thought they are more superior. sometimes i fall into the pitfall of "wanting to get into med school" instead of "wanting to become a doctor"... haha

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am a whole bunch of months late making this post but I wanted to thank everyone for their comments in this thread. I applied to Queensland last summer as I had missed all the deadlines for the Canadian Medical Schools in ‘06 (I was planning on doing my Masters and so watched the deadlines pass). I only applied to med school once in my fourth year (UofT and Dalhousie). I received interviews at both and was waitlisted at Toronto (though never got in). I was so eager to apply to get in to med after I declined my graduate work that I applied to Australia , and was offered a spot in the program.

Due to personal reasons, I elected to stay in Canada this year and reapply to our schools. My stats aren’t overly strong (GPA 3.8/4.0, MCAT 29O) but after reading all this my resolve is even stronger to get in here at home. I know think that if I don’t get in this year I will rewrite my MCAT and try yet again for Canadian Schools rather than go the IMG route.

Thanks again everyone – this post has been REALLY helpful.

Archived