Premed 101 Forums

Tutoring = empoyment?? (OMSAS)

Guest Yacek

Hi everybody!

I'm just filling out the OMSAS Autobiographical Sketch.

Here's my problem: I've been tutoring high school & younger university students for almost 2 years now. It was just for cash, so I should probably put it under X (extracurricular activities) category - it's kind of a hobby, right? However, for one semester, I was officially being paid through university for tutoring somebody in math (it's an involved story). Since this was official, it could be put under category E (employment).

Does anybody have any ideas? How should I split this?

Put both into X, or both into E, or one X one E?

Thank you in advance,

Yacek

I would personally enter it once under "Employment" since you were being paid both times. (I don't see the difference between being paid cash and being paid in another way) But it's really up to you and how you want your activities to be perceived, which sections you think are weakest, etc. :)

I listed my tutoring under "volunteer" - because that's what it was....no $$$ at all.

If you got paid for it - it is employment....period. For example: if you were an NHL hockey player - that would be employment, not an extracurricular activity! If you played violin professionally, again that is employment, because you are getting money for doing it.

Archived