Premed 101 Forums

Sketch question

Guest Tara191

Guest Tara191

Hi there,

I'm trying to fill out my sketch section of the application and I'm finding that they really don't give you enough space. I have just filled out my education which read sometime like BSc in blah blah blah from blah University and then I got cut off. So now I'm trying to do a volunteer entry but I only have room for the name of the place without actually describing what I do there. Is that normal?

Thanks a bunch for any advice,

Tara

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah - I had the exact same problem (3 years ago.) It's normal - play around with it.

Also note you can take > 1 line for a submission. Just set the same dates on both lines. . . there might be something else involved, but I've forgotten.

Guest blinknoodle

Does any school actually take your sketch into admission consideration? Or is it just used as a springboard for interview questions? I know Ottawa has the detailed sketch which is considered, but I wasn't sure about the other schools.

Guest UWOMED2005

When I applied, 3 years ago. . .

You're correct for UWO, we ignore it.

But I think U of T takes it with the Essay as 40% in determining interview apps.

Mac also looks at it with your 15 questions you answer in determining whether you get an interview.

For Queen's, it gets assessed with the PIF for 50% of the final acceptance score (interview is the other 50%)

Not sure about U of O. . .

So yeah, it does matter.

Guest macdaddyeh

Unless I am wrong, I actually believe that MAC does *NOT* read the autobiographical submission UNTIL the interview, and even then the assessors read it only minutes prior to your interview as they have no former access to it.

To reiterate, MAC, to my knowledge, applies a 50/50 weighting to GPA and essay only to determine interview invites.

I could be wrong, but I am going from what I believed was to be correct to this point (and because I've been through the process and got to the interview stage once before).

As always, best to check directly with MAC...Either way, your auto. list *WILL* be read at some point and reviewed, so it is always in one's best interest to take it seriously but one need not fill it to the brim with all the minutiae because that will come across as superficial.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest premed81

Hi everyone,

I'm finding it very frustrating to try to answer the sketch questions with such a limited space (particularly with McMaster). It's kinda even more frustrating to read that the school may not even read your essay answers until the interview time. Either way, I'm going to put a lot of effort into the sketch essays, but it's discouraging to think that you will probably ONLY get an interview solely based on grades and not based on the entire application (ie. sketch essays). Just another venting criticism of the medical school system.

Guest tirisa

Hi premed,

I just wanted to clarify MAC terminology, since the terminology you used in you post above seemed confusing. I just want to make sure you've got it right.

The autobiographical SKETCH refers to the list of 45 or so activities that you've done since the age of 16. At Mac, in the past, this was not considered until the interview stage. (This may change this year, however, but we're not sure yet how... Check the Mac thread for info on the application changes).

The autobiographical SUBMISSION (or essay questions) IS considered WITH your GPA (in a 50/50 weighting scheme as macdaddey said). However, there are no longer 15 essay questions, but rather 5 questions. (again, check the mac thread for more info on why this changed). So, yes, your essay questions will be read to assess, along with your GPA, whether you get an interview or not.

Again, I'm just clarifying the semantics for MAC. Other schools may be different, but since you were talking about mac above, I just wanted to make sure that the mac process is clear to you.

Cheers,

Tirisa

Guest UWOMED2005

I think it's normal to find the lack of space to answer things frustrating, in addition to the vagueness of the directions considering documenting referees. I sure did.

But don't forget everyone is in the same boat. You need to demonstrate some ability to be succint here. Everyone else does as well.

Guest premed81

Thanks for the clarification and the encouragement. You're right. All applicants are facing this challenge and it's just another step in this gruelling process.

Archived