Premed 101 Forums

South Africa and Israel

Hello,

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

1. Has anyone heard of the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Medical School for International Health in Collaboration with Columbia University? From what I can see, the degree is actually granted from the university in Israel, but the electives are all completed at Columbia and other places in the US or the applicant's home country. Only students from outside Israel are eligible to apply. From their stats, all students who graduated so far have obtained residencies in either US or Canada (even some competitive ones). It's a school that focuses on international health, and each student is required to complete a certain amount of internship time in a developing country.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/bgcu-md/Gurion.html

If anyone has attended this school, or have applied to it, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

2. Has anyone done any research into South African medical schools? Are there any Canadians on this forum attending med school in South Africa?

Thanks for your help!

I was recently in Israel, and one of my relatives there suggested taking me to see the Ben Gurion med school. It's actually quite nice, but I don't know if you realize how far Israel really is... It's quite the long haul, and it's hot.....I'd take Canada or the US anyday.

Yeah, I have been to Israel too. But I have also worked overseas for several years, so I think I could manage the move to Israel. I'm hoping for a Canadian school, but I'm also searching out options in case Canada doesn't pan out. I've been working in international public health for awhile, so the international health/population health focus at Ben Gurion appeals to me. It's actually quite a bit cheaper than US schools, but I imagine the travelling costs would also add up quite quickly. Anyway, it's good to know they have a nice campus if I end up having to go that route!

Thanks DeeDoc!

• 4 months later...

Archived