Premed 101 Forums

Submission Questions

Guest Sumi23

Guest Sumi23

Hello folks,

I have just finished writing my OMSAS submission questions and I have a question... As I was reading my answers I realized I don't have very fancy style of writing. I mean, I always knew that but it matters more now. My answers are quite straight forward and there's good content but I don't know about how creatively I have written them. Do you think that the adcom are looking more for content or can content be overshadowed if you can't write creatively.

Thanks for your thoughts.

|I

Guest BennyG

Dear Sumi23,

In writing my submission questions, I experimented with a number of possible styles and contents. In the end, I chose what was most natural and comfortable for me. I tried the highly eloquent/intellectual approach, but then several of my volunteer editors, who are all excellent writers with great vocabularies, told me that, basically, I was using too many big words. My writing was shielding my soul, rather than revealing it. This sentiment was expressed by another poster, I think it was Kirsteen, and she was absolutely correct.

Trying the wholesome and overly-sincere "save-the-world" style is pointless, because no one will believe you (and rightly so) and all you will do is make your evalutors gag. After many edits, I think the best thing to do is just be yourself. I always hated hearing that from other people, because we all know how much of a mind-game this whole process can be. Being overly creative and zany may work, I don't know, but I'm too conservative to try it. Instead, I just tried to be me, and that includes my writing style as well as the content.

Good luck with your application. At this point, people will for sure be second-guessing themselves on their written components. It's natural, I'm doing it to.

Guest Ian Wong

I agree with BennyG. Content counts more. It always has, because you are being evaluated on your qualifications to enter medical school, not on becoming a writer.

However, if you have already focussed on the content of your essays, and can then come up with a creative and interactive way of expressing those points, then your essay is more likely to be well-received simply because it is interesting to read! People pay more attention when they are given something interesting (and you need only look at the undergrad courses that you hated to see that).

In the end though, content counts. The med schools all want to know why your background had made you qualified to study medicine, and why they should select you over the other applicants. To do this, you need to emphasize content over creativity. Of course, if you can incorporate creativity while maintaining content, that's the best scenario of all.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived