Premed 101 Forums

Formal Education?

Guest kk

What does formal education mean? i.e. highschool, university or university only?

And for a description, do you put something like "B.Sc.H. Chemistry (in progress) University of Toronto" ?

Cheers

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd put. I used that section for diplomas/degrees from the various schools I'd attended, and for interesting programs of studying I'd done. Anything that could be perceived as an award, I put in the award section.

Hi,

Do for example, if you attended music school and got a diploma, would you put that under awards or education?

Also, did you put high school education too?

thanks

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I did mention High School in the formal education, but only because I did a special program.

Music school - I'd probably put that in formal education or extracurriculars depending on whichever section was weaker (ie less entries.) I'm not sure I'd personally count a diploma as an award (unless it's for getting the top mark in the class or something.) That's more likely to make you look like a "well-rounded" applicant.

But I don't think this is the kind of thing that could make or break an application. Don't worry about it.

Guest JSS02

I put high school but not university. Don't you have to enter in all of your university education under a different section of the application? I think the music school diploma fits better under education (it's not really an award per sé) but it's not really an issue either way.

hmm...what about elementary school =)?

Also, did you group everything chronologically?

About the music thing....at R.C.M, the royal conservatory of music, is like a the music school of Canada where you take formal exams and stuff...if you get the A.R.C.T. level, you are essentially the same level as a B.Mus in Performance.

I got my A.R.C.T. in Cello at 18; I also needed to take Grade 6 piano from stratch for my A.R.C.T, and it ain't easy since I had to do it in 3 months ugh......should I put it in under education still??

It seems that many of these can overlap; for example, I also won provincials in Strings, but if I place that in awards, doesnt it sound redundant that I've done so much in music/harp anyway?

Im not sure if quantity is what their looking for, or quality!

Cheers

Guest JSS02

Don't worry about any chronological ordering- the system automatically does it for you. Putting your music diplomas under Education but your music prizes under Awards doesn't sound like "overlap" or redundancy to me.

With regards to quality/quantity, of course quality is much more important. But of course, having done a wide range of activities is nice too.

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey, I did Royal Conservatory for Piano as well! I only made it to grade 5 for piano though. I think I put that under extra-curriculars. A.R.C.T. certification I think could be put under awards or formal education - it shouldn't matter a great deal. The one thing I would do though is describe what A.R.C.T. level. I'd completely forgot what that was. . . and it's quite possible you're autobio sketch evaluator might not be familiar with the Royal Conservatory at all.

Crap then...I thought most people would know what ARCT is....man, curse that character limit!

Hey UWOMED2005/JSS02, ARCT is basically the highest diploma offered by the RCM....you basically have to pass grade 10 with a min of 70% in each section of the exam, and then get 60% on your arct to pass....basically when you get your arct, it means that you have reached the level of the average professional musician......

Now, looking at that, it sounds a bit arrogant to me. What do you think? I mean thats what it is, but Im not sure if its a good idea to say that its the highest level cause it seems a bid high headed?

Guest JSS02

I don't think there's enough room to fit all that in one line. :)

But if you want to talk about it a little more in your essays, that would be great. Mentioning the "highest level" may be considered arrogant to some, but to others (like me), we don't really know what the designation means unless you explain it. So it's up to you...

lets say you awarded a diploma (in my Case arct), but it really took you 1 year to prepare for it....however, in order to reach that level it took you 6 years? What should I put for my from - to date?

As an analogy, say there was diploma given for passing OAC Calculus...although calculus was only one year, it took you at least 4 years of math schooling to be grasp the concepts needed for that course.....

any ideas?

kk

Guest UWOMED2005

Using your analogy (calculus), I'd say one year. But then again using that same analogy I'd list grade 10, 11, 12 math. Bottom line - I dunno. And I don't think it matters. . . all you really need to do is convey the idea that you completed the A.R.C.T. certification and that it was quite an accomplishment. I don't think evaluators are going to be TOO picky on the details. . . though throwing in a typo is a no-no.

kk, if you want to edit your messages, you need to register. Just click on the "recommended" link in the sentence "registration is recommended" on the main page for instructions. Registration also enures noone will start posting offensive stuff using the "kk" username - so you won't have to worry about getting to med school, mentioning to a classmate that you posted here as "kk," only to find out someone then used that same login to argue that the KKK should be in charge of med school admissions in Canada. :)

Guest diencephalon

Ok I just registered...man, someone already took the name Kk!

Oh well, I just picked the first word that came to my head haha

so kk=diencephalon 8o

Archived