Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Scaled Score-RCT

for last years nov DAT:

if you got a 17, then 57% of the test takers would have gotten a higher score than you. 15% wouldve had the same score.

if you got an 18, then 44% of the test takers would have gotten a higher score than you. 13% wouldve had the same score.

Hi, I have been doing a lot of practice tests, I seem to get about 70% (improved by practice from 55%!!!) by scoring myself, so get about 35/50 on the questions for RC. My first two passages I get about all right and towards the end, the last passage, I see time, there is about 18 minutes left (out of 50 min that I assign myself) and I rush and practically guess on all the questions (makes sense since I get about all wrong in the last passage).

So Bright Smile, can you please tell me how much is about 20 in terms of raw scores... can you estimate or is there a way I can do this calculation? how the heck do i increase speed? I know it depends on the quality of other people's performance but an estimate might help.

Thanks sooo much!

Hey dmd2012,

You have no need to rush the last passage, especially if you have 18 minutes remaining. This means you spent an average of 16 minutes on the first two passages and got most of them right. If anything, you should score higher on the last passage with your extra 2 mins... try not to get anxious about time and you will be fine. According to my Kaplan practice DAT, a score of 41/50 = 21 on the DAT. Hope that helps.

DMD 2012,

There are two main things that helped me for the reading comp:

1) Practice under the time pressure (three at a time)

...and more importantly...

2) ALWAYS READ THE FULL PASSAGES!!! Do not skim the passages and then skip to the questions!!! You *do* have enough time to actually read the passages first. When you actually read the passages, the questions become easy. You can remember the answers, OR you remember where in the passage to find the answers.

Using the method of actually reading the entire passages, keep practicing under your time constraits. You will get faster and faster.

thanks for the reply, i figure that I will have to read the last passage since i do have time left...

now i m done with all my studies,just trying to review a few more things, timing and carving and things..other than that i m gonna just relax before the exam because i have been studying since the summer.

Archived