Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Scores

Those scores are fine.

Anything looks better than a biology degree! But seriously, whether it's an honours degree or not doesn't really matter; however, if you did honours and did a real research project, it gives you a fantastic opportunity to explain something in plain English to your interview panel.

Those scores are great - they are pretty close to what mine were - the only problem you would ever run into is if you had real low English marks and they would look at your VR and wonder - but your WS is high so your should be golden. Honors doesn't seem to matter much unless you had done some publishable research or other interesting stuff along with it - the interview is so important. Wish you all the best!

Hey guys, does anyone know how UBC does their interview process now? I thought I heard they were changing their method. Also, what are some aspects of UBC med school that make it stand out compared to other med schools. I'm thinking of applying to some eastern schools, but don't know if they are much better, or worth moving for.

UBC is moving to MMI this year.

Some of the things I've noticed so far that are really good about UBC Med are the following:

- great facilities

The anatomy lab, Life Sciences Centre, and the Histology labs are a really great environment. UBC must have one of the best histology programs in North America, if not, probably Canada. We have this tool online where we can view all the glass sides and electron micrographs instead of having to use the microscope - it's beautiful. The anatomy lab is huge and groups of about 6 get a cadaver to dissect - it's an excellent resource and extremely hands-on.

-Early clinical exposure.

The earliest group is in the family practice offine within the first month. You are interviewing patients, following the docs around, and for some getting to do partial physicals. I know it doesn't sound like much, but some school don't even let their students talk to real patients for at least a year and a half. We are in there in the first month.

- Shadowing database

We get access to a bunch of physicians in Greater Vancouver, Victoria, and Prince George. You can call or e-mail them to set-up a shadowing day whenever you want. I haven't used it yet, however, I know a couple people who have and have enjoyed their experiences. I plan on using it in the new year though so I am looking forward to that.

- Distributed Program

UBC is definitely a world-leader when it comes to this. The VFMP/NMP/IMP model is really cool because some of the students get to train in rural areas and get a better understanding of the sociomedico issues associated with rural populations. However, those in the VFMP still have the opportunity to explore rural training through the rural elective program and apparently we can spend a little bit of pre-arragned time at the other sites if we want to. Also, being at the different sites doesn't affect your education because you learn the same thing (I think from all, if not most, of the same profs). Technology makes the distributed program work so well, which brings me to my next point.

-A/V Technology

LSC and UBC Med has technology coming out the wazoo. It's so ridiculous the kind of technology being used to connect the different sites, the anatomy lab, and the histology lab. It's like an extremely well-oiled machine. We have had lectures from Victoria, pre-lab talks from the anatomy lab while sitting in our lecture theatre from a different part of LSC and UVic. The technology used to put all of the glass slides online so we can view it from home. Just the way everything seems to work so seamless is really cool. I one time was speaking to one of the A/V guys in the area of LSC where the monitor it all and they have about 5-8 monitors in this one room with a bunch of buttons where they can control cameras in Prince George, Victoria, LSC, and the MSAC (near VGH). It's beautiful.

Lastly, and probably the best part

-Students

My classmates are probably some of the most diverse, accomplished, interesting and fun people you will ever meet. They have travelled all over the world, have graduate degrees, are athletes, engineers, pharmacists, resesarchers, artists, teachers, musicians, mathematicians, and parents. You name it and they are probably in my class. We can't forget the fact that we also have classes with the dentists. Some people (mostly at other schools) think it's not a great idea, but I think it's great. We don't get nearly as much dentistry knowledge as they will get medical knowledge...however, dentistry is "like" a medical specialty and having an understanding of the entire body is just as essential for good oral health.

UBC is not perfect, but so far it's been great.

That was an interesting post kuantum. Regarding the technology etc, I have always wondered…can you get your study material online (aside from text books) and/or view videos of lectures online as well (ie study from home/independently if you choose) or are all lectures mandatory (in addition to PBL, lab etc)? I ask because of comments I have heard from students on SDN, mentioning that they find it much better to miss lecture and study at there own pace during that time instead of dosing off in lecture and still having to study the material once they get home anyways. Some schools allow this and post lectures online (which one could watch at 2x speed), some do not. Just wondering how much flexibility the ubc program offers in this respect.

Also, you mention it is not perfect…what in particular do you consider to be some of the negative aspects of the program?

Hi. I read somewhere in this forum that MCAT scores are used as red flags after your interview. What if you've written the MCATs twice? If you've done poorly on your first MCAT but did well (low to mid 30s) on your second, will they still use your bad MCAT score as a red flag? Or will they only look at your better score to judge your application?

Thanks.

Hi. I read somewhere in this forum that MCAT scores are used as red flags after your interview. What if you've written the MCATs twice? If you've done poorly on your first MCAT but did well (low to mid 30s) on your second, will they still use your bad MCAT score as a red flag? Or will they only look at your better score to judge your application?

Thanks.

Ya, sorry for hijacking the thread :P . I beleve they look at your best score only.

That was an interesting post kuantum. Regarding the technology etc, I have always wondered…can you get your study material online (aside from text books) and/or view videos of lectures online as well (ie study from home/independently if you choose) or are all lectures mandatory (in addition to PBL, lab etc)? I ask because of comments I have heard from students on SDN, mentioning that they find it much better to miss lecture and study at there own pace during that time instead of dosing off in lecture and still having to study the material once they get home anyways. Some schools allow this and post lectures online (which one could watch at 2x speed), some do not. Just wondering how much flexibility the ubc program offers in this respect.

Also, you mention it is not perfect…what in particular do you consider to be some of the negative aspects of the program?

I think lectures are officially mandatory, however, attendance is not taken. The class is so big, no one would ever notice if you were not there. Notes are given out to every student the Thursday before the week and are also available online. PBL is mandatory - if you are missing, it is very noticeable. However, I believe you have a certain number of excused absences per year. I'm sure there are some people who just don't come to lecture. You don't always need to, however, some lecturers add some info so you don't want to miss that. However, the vast majority of material can be taken from the notes.

I wish there were video lectures online, IMHO. Sometimes going to class can be a drag if I can get through the material faster on my own, however, I still go to lecture.

Negatives

The class is enormous. I think this is good for some people, and this is bad for some. I don't mind the large number of people per se, however, sometimes it just feels crowded.

Incredibly expensive

Vancouver is not cheap, neither is medical school. However, UBC medicine sometimes feels extra expensive compared to other places. We have a rural family practice rotation in 2nd year I've heard can be quite pricey. This is an excellent opportunity, however, I think it'd be something that I think would be great if it were worked into tuition. I don't want mention much about this since I'm only in first year so I don't know much about though. Please don't ask me anything further on this.

Also, we have family practice once a week starting in 2nd term I believe and if you are stuck somewhere far, apparently the faculty doesn't really care. You need to find your own way there and back. That can mean an hour and a half bus ride each way. That can be quite exhausting.

We don't finish until the middle of June. I know it's not much different than other places that finish in late May, but that's a little annoying. Not that big a deal since Vancouver is awesome, but it'd be nice to have all of June, July, and August off.

As you can see, the things I mentioned are personal things. I think the program is great and I'm sure each person has beefs they wish were taken care of. I don't expect the program to be perfect because new and better ways of delivering education are always coming up. No medical school is perfect and I think the program at UBC is awesome. Plus, I get to live in Vancouver - such a fun place to be.

K

Archived