Premed 101 Forums

What to do?

Hi, I'm in first year and would eventually like to go to Med school, like practically everyone out here. However, I don't think my marks would be competitive enough. Rather than waiting 4 full years and finding out that I'm rejected, I was wondering whether it would be a smarter idea to head off to an international med school by the end of second year. This way, I'll have acquired most of the basic science knowledge required. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks ;)

Hi, I'm in first year and would eventually like to go to Med school, like practically everyone out here. However, I don't think my marks would be competitive enough. Rather than waiting 4 full years and finding out that I'm rejected, I was wondering whether it would be a smarter idea to head off to an international med school by the end of second year. This way, I'll have acquired most of the basic science knowledge required. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks ;)

if u want to start med school end of 2nd year, your choices would 5- or 6-year programs in UK, Australia, Ireland ,etc. You don't have to be concerned with "acquiring most of the basic science knowledge" before u go... because the reason they are 5/6 years long is that they cover the science basics in the first 2 years or so.

but bottom line is, many people improve their grades alot after 1st year.. so you never really know your chances are until then... all i can say is, carefully evaluate your options...

In my opinion it's too early to decide that your marks will not be competitive enough to get into med here in Canada! You really have to go through a painstaking process if you decide to come back here once you graduate med internationally so you should think carefully before you make that decision ;) (says the girl who's applying to ireland :P )

Since you're only in first year, you have plenty of time and opportunities to make your marks competitive (especially if you don't go and take super hard classes that will bring down your GPA just for the fun of it- because frankly nobody cares what classes you took outside of prerequisites).

Anyways, Good Luck with the adventure that is getting into med school! And no matter what DON'T GIVE UP. There are people who apply for years and years and re-take the MCAT over again and eventually get in. And even if Canada doesn't work out you can always apply to international schools later.

Archived