Premed 101 Forums

Starting Out...

Ehudz

I am currently in my final year of high school, going into university next year. I am looking at getting into a med school, and I was wondering what kinds of things I should do to better equip myself in the years before I apply. What kinds of things did you wish you had done/regretted doing? What are some select ways of making your profile more attractive? What studying skills/traits should I employ? Anything helpful tips are cool!

Thanks!

Do what interests you. If medicine interests you, then you will do things that are related to medicine. If you are doing this simply to make your application look more attractive, I'm pretty sure the admissions board will see right through that.

If your question isn't how do I look good, but rather how do I get involved. Theres volunteer programs at universities that you can participate in such as campus response treams (first aid), peer health education teams, you can volunteer at hosptials, you can do international volunteer work experience. Summer jobs like a camp counsellor or life guarding are lots of fun. Just figure out what you like not what someone else is looking for.

Here is some very good advice (not specific to med school) that someone once gave me about extra-curricular's. If you only have time to do 3 things:

(1) Do something you love passionately, that you can't live without, and/or that you're very good at.

(2) Do something that pushes your boundaries and makes you go outside your comfort zone.

(3) Do something related to the field/career you're interested in.

Archived